Stabbing stuns community
A COMMUNITY was in shock last night after a middle-aged woman was stabbed to death in her own home on the Suffolk-Norfolk border.A murder inquiry was launched after the 54-year-old was found dead in a two-storey house at Needham, near Harleston, on Monday night.
A COMMUNITY was in shock last night after a middle-aged woman was stabbed to death in her own home on the Suffolk-Norfolk border.
A murder inquiry was launched after the 54-year-old was found dead in a two-storey house at Needham, near Harleston, on Monday night.
Detectives were last night questioning a 32-year-old man on suspicion of murder following the incident in the centre of the village.
Norfolk Police and the East of England Ambulance Service were called to the home on the corner of High Road and Brook Lane, at about 6.15pm on Monday.
Paramedics attempted to revive the woman, who had suffered a stab wound to the neck, but she was pronounced dead at the scene.
The 32-year-old man was arrested shortly after police attended the scene.
- 1 Chancellor and health secretary dramatically quit
- 2 Vital new community bus service launches to help isolated get out and about
- 3 7 of the prettiest cafes in Suffolk
- 4 Family fun day on town meadow hailed a hit
- 5 Have you seen artist's phenomenal sculptures made from cutlery?
- 6 Two children cause damage after throwing stones at vehicles
- 7 Beccles school appoints new headteacher
- 8 Estate agent hosting auction for air ambulance appeal
- 9 Vandals smash lights in criminal damage at east Suffolk park
- 10 Former professional dressage rider died in four-vehicle motorcycle crash
Forensics and scenes of crimes officers continued their investigations at the cordoned-off house yesterday whilst detectives from the joint Norfolk and Suffolk Major Investigation Team conducted house-to-house inquiries in the area. A post-mortem examination has yet to be carried out on the victim, who has not yet been named.
Officers from the Harleston Safer Neighbourhood Team also carried out patrols in the area to reassure residents that the alleged murder was a “contained” incident.
Neighbours yesterday spoke of their shock following the death of the woman who “kept herself to herself”.
One resident, who declined to be named, said: “She was a nice little lady and I used to see her walking around the village from time to time. It is really shocking to hear what's happened.”
Another neighbour said: “I used to see her driving her car to and from Harleston and she used to wave. You never expect anything like this to happen here. It is a very tragic affair.”
A spokesman for Norfolk Police said that detectives were not looking for anyone else in connection with the offence.
Anyone with information is asked to contact the Norfolk and Suffolk Police Major Investigation Team on 0845 456 4567.