Stabbing stuns community
A COMMUNITY was in shock last night after a middle-aged woman was stabbed to death in her own home on the Suffolk-Norfolk border.A murder inquiry was launched after the 54-year-old was found dead in a two-storey house at Needham, near Harleston, on Monday night.
A COMMUNITY was in shock last night after a middle-aged woman was stabbed to death in her own home on the Suffolk-Norfolk border.
A murder inquiry was launched after the 54-year-old was found dead in a two-storey house at Needham, near Harleston, on Monday night.
Detectives were last night questioning a 32-year-old man on suspicion of murder following the incident in the centre of the village.
Norfolk Police and the East of England Ambulance Service were called to the home on the corner of High Road and Brook Lane, at about 6.15pm on Monday.
You may also want to watch:
Paramedics attempted to revive the woman, who had suffered a stab wound to the neck, but she was pronounced dead at the scene.
The 32-year-old man was arrested shortly after police attended the scene.
- 1 'Beccles Mafia' reported to police for harassing elderly shoppers
- 2 Bid for 40 new homes meets fresh opposition
- 3 Nine still under investigation after man knifed in village brawl
- 4 Groundworks start at site of new McDonald’s restaurant
- 5 Name unveiled for new Bungay SEND school
- 6 Suffolk braced for up to 10cm of snow as warnings upgraded
- 7 Tributes to man, 31, who died on Christmas Day
- 8 Anger as trees felled on common as part of 'management plan'
- 9 Takeaway deli set to open in coastal town
- 10 'Greedy' burglars who targeted community facilities in £122,000 crime spree are jailed
Forensics and scenes of crimes officers continued their investigations at the cordoned-off house yesterday whilst detectives from the joint Norfolk and Suffolk Major Investigation Team conducted house-to-house inquiries in the area. A post-mortem examination has yet to be carried out on the victim, who has not yet been named.
Officers from the Harleston Safer Neighbourhood Team also carried out patrols in the area to reassure residents that the alleged murder was a “contained” incident.
Neighbours yesterday spoke of their shock following the death of the woman who “kept herself to herself”.
One resident, who declined to be named, said: “She was a nice little lady and I used to see her walking around the village from time to time. It is really shocking to hear what's happened.”
Another neighbour said: “I used to see her driving her car to and from Harleston and she used to wave. You never expect anything like this to happen here. It is a very tragic affair.”
A spokesman for Norfolk Police said that detectives were not looking for anyone else in connection with the offence.
Anyone with information is asked to contact the Norfolk and Suffolk Police Major Investigation Team on 0845 456 4567.