Stabbing stuns community
A COMMUNITY was in shock last night after a middle-aged woman was stabbed to death in her own home on the Suffolk-Norfolk border.A murder inquiry was launched after the 54-year-old was found dead in a two-storey house at Needham, near Harleston, on Monday night.
A COMMUNITY was in shock last night after a middle-aged woman was stabbed to death in her own home on the Suffolk-Norfolk border.
A murder inquiry was launched after the 54-year-old was found dead in a two-storey house at Needham, near Harleston, on Monday night.
Detectives were last night questioning a 32-year-old man on suspicion of murder following the incident in the centre of the village.
Norfolk Police and the East of England Ambulance Service were called to the home on the corner of High Road and Brook Lane, at about 6.15pm on Monday.
You may also want to watch:
Paramedics attempted to revive the woman, who had suffered a stab wound to the neck, but she was pronounced dead at the scene.
The 32-year-old man was arrested shortly after police attended the scene.
- 1 New headteacher unveiled for town's high school
- 2 Roads to close overnight for roundabout resurfacing
- 3 Man 'let down' by GPs after undiagnosed pneumonia death, mother claims
- 4 Man suffers broken leg in serious crash on A12
- 5 Pub staff 'run off their feet' during Euros campaign
- 6 'Red-and-white spray paint doesn't count' - three danger lorries stopped
- 7 Air ambulance called after man suffers medical emergency in Bungay
- 8 Town's Pride picnic postponed following restrictions delay
- 9 'Everyone recognises me now' - Plant continues to grow at rapid rate
- 10 Hunt for man wanted for assaults in Lowestoft
Forensics and scenes of crimes officers continued their investigations at the cordoned-off house yesterday whilst detectives from the joint Norfolk and Suffolk Major Investigation Team conducted house-to-house inquiries in the area. A post-mortem examination has yet to be carried out on the victim, who has not yet been named.
Officers from the Harleston Safer Neighbourhood Team also carried out patrols in the area to reassure residents that the alleged murder was a “contained” incident.
Neighbours yesterday spoke of their shock following the death of the woman who “kept herself to herself”.
One resident, who declined to be named, said: “She was a nice little lady and I used to see her walking around the village from time to time. It is really shocking to hear what's happened.”
Another neighbour said: “I used to see her driving her car to and from Harleston and she used to wave. You never expect anything like this to happen here. It is a very tragic affair.”
A spokesman for Norfolk Police said that detectives were not looking for anyone else in connection with the offence.
Anyone with information is asked to contact the Norfolk and Suffolk Police Major Investigation Team on 0845 456 4567.