Still time to support stage project at Beccles Public Hall
- Credit: James Bass
Dedicated volunteers have completed a project to improve the stage at Beccles Public Hall, and there’s still time to make your mark by sponsoring a square.
Work started last month, with a team of professional builders called in to raise and level the stage and strip and plaster the walls.
And then it was the turn of the volunteers to help with basic woodwork jobs, painting and cleaning, ready for the venue to be reopened last Saturday.
John Cushing, one of the directors, said: “We have replaced the old front of the stage with steel deck so now we’ve got storage space for tables and various other bits and pieces.
“We’ve got four new lighting bars and we’ve been fortunate enough to have an individual donate a considerable amount of money to enable us to put extra lights in.
You may also want to watch:
“We had some very useful people who volunteered to help us with one or two new faces as well.
“We also had a team of cleaners who came in Friday and Saturday to get the place ready, so we were all done by 2.30pm on Saturday afternoon in time for the evening show.”
- 1 Plot of land near Beccles sells at auction for five times guide price
- 2 Geldeston Locks Inn pub near Beccles temporarily closes due to Covid
- 3 'It was as if Covid didn't exist' - Latitude-goers report positive tests
- 4 Man has jaw broken following punch at Latitude Festival
- 5 West End star set to visit youngsters at Beccles Public Hall
- 6 Weather warning as more thunderstorms set to hit parts of the region
- 7 Heartbreak as Beccles Ladies miss out on Wembley dream at final hurdle
- 8 Devoted doctor, 93, to embark on dancing busk-athon in Lowestoft
- 9 Wanted Waveney man may be in London
- 10 Family fundraising for Aimee, 16, after leukaemia diagnosis
As part of the project, the Public Hall team is appealing for individuals, groups and businesses to sponsor a square foot of the stage for £20, or six square feet for £100 to help with the cost of the project. Supporters will have their name included in a poster in the foyer and have the chance to sign their square. Mr Cushing said: “It’s a time capsule idea so that when you rip the floor up in 30 years time to do the stage again, you will be able to see all the names of those who contributed.”
To support the project visit the box office, open Monday to Saturday from 10am to 3pm, or call 01502 770060.