Sudden closure of pub upsets locals
PLAYERS of a rare card game have hit out at the temporary closure of one of only two pubs in Norfolk where it is played. The Wherry Inn, in Geldeston, near Beccles, closed suddenly last week to the surprise of villagers.
PLAYERS of a rare card game have hit out at the temporary closure of one of only two pubs in Norfolk where it is played.
The Wherry Inn, in Geldeston, near Beccles, closed suddenly last week to the surprise of villagers. It is believed to be one of only two Norfolk pubs where the whist-like game phat is played and Tom Clayford, who organises the weekly phat drive, said that the 20 regular players have had to find a new venue.
He said: “We've had to relocate to the village hall and we have to hire it on a week for week basis because they won't tell us how long the pub is going to be closed for. We even asked Adnams to help us find a new venue for our games.
“I went in on Friday to collect the cards and board for the games and there were paint pots all over the place so some work is obviously being done inside.”
You may also want to watch:
He added: “We still don't know why it has closed and nobody will tell us. Are we going to lose the pub altogether like we lost our shop?”
The pub closed suddenly last Tuesday night and handwritten signs were put up in the downstairs windows stating that it would be closed until further notice.
- 1 Life sentence for convicted rapist who attempted to murder Norfolk woman
- 2 Man dies in industrial incident at plastics factory
- 3 The community hub bringing the heart of Beccles together
- 4 Toolstation opens new store in Beccles
- 5 Free October half term events around Beccles and Bungay
- 6 Five Halloween events planned in Waveney this year
- 7 Woman's body found at Loddon home
- 8 MP still hopes to host surgeries in person after colleague killed
- 9 An A to Z of East Anglian cider
- 10 Health watchdog's concerns over 87-year-old's hospital discharge
Adnams spokesman Emma Hibbert said that the pub is not due to reopen yet. She said: “It is a major refurbishment programme so the pub will be closed for a few weeks.”