Summer show’s fine exhibits
- Credit: Archant
The Beccles and District Horticultural Society held it’s Open Summer Show at Blyburgate Hall, on Saturday, July 12.
The show was well attended with more than 200 entries from 23 competitors. Cups and diplomas were presented by Mrs Judith Yaxley, President of the Society:
Seppings cup for roses - Mrs J Elliott; Denney cup for flowers - Mr A Blake; Alderman Hindes cup for vegetables - Mr A Blake; Diploma for soft fruit – Mr A Ripley; Jubilee cup for domestic - Mrs J Payne/Mrs C Glanfield; Colville cup for lady with most points: Mrs S Westney; Jack Biggs cup for best horticultural exhibit – Mr D Fairhead.
First prize winners were as follows: 3 roses J Elliott, 1 rose J Webb, 5 roses J Elliott, vase roses C Clarke, miniature rose in pot J Elliott, 3 cultivars sweet peas A Ripley , 12 stems sweet peas J Perkins, bowl sweet peas A Ripley, vase cut flowers A Ripley, vase perennials J Thomson, vase annuals A Ripley, vase pinks J Webb, specimen bloom A Ripley, 6 pansies A Piper, 6 fuchsia heads M Whistlecraft, fuchsia A Blake, pelargonium A Blake, begonia M Whistlecraft, Orchid S Westney, Cactus or succulent J Yaxley, fern A Blake, flowering pot plant A Blake, foliage pot plant A Blake, hanging basket D Glanfield, Hanging pouch A Blake, ‘The Beccles Vase’ A Blake, New entrant – any flower or pot plant L Godfrey.
Shallots A Blake, peas J Thomson, French beans A Blake, broad beans A Ripley, white potatoes D Fairhead, red potatoes D Fairhead, cabbage D Glanfield, lettuce S Westney, onions D Glanfield, cucumber R Bedwell, cauliflower D Fairhead, carrots J Thomson, beetroot D Fairhead, collection of vegetables D Fairhead, any other vegetable A Blake, herbs J Webb, new exhibitor – any vegetable L Maguire, raspberries A Ripley, gooseberries S Westney.
You may also want to watch:
Peach conserve J Payne, Bacon, thyme & potato muffins J Payne, Bakewell tart S Westney, Cherry and coconut cake C Glanfield.
The overall positions in show were : 1 A Blake (43 pts), 2 A Ripley (35 pts), 3 S Westney (28 pts).
- 1 Green light for new homes bid in Norfolk village
- 2 Opening date revealed for community pub with 1,400 shareholders
- 3 Primary school reopens after outbreak of 17 Covid cases
- 4 Driver convicted of killing friend in A12 crash
- 5 New mayor unveiled for Bungay
- 6 New owners of popular park café set out vision for 'beautiful' venue
- 7 What's opening in Waveney from May 17?
- 8 McDonald's branch to close for up to three months
- 9 School year group and bus passengers told to isolate after Covid case
- 10 Cornish man in search for long lost Lowestoft relatives