Summer show’s fine exhibits
- Credit: Archant
The Beccles and District Horticultural Society held it’s Open Summer Show at Blyburgate Hall, on Saturday, July 12.
The show was well attended with more than 200 entries from 23 competitors. Cups and diplomas were presented by Mrs Judith Yaxley, President of the Society:
Seppings cup for roses - Mrs J Elliott; Denney cup for flowers - Mr A Blake; Alderman Hindes cup for vegetables - Mr A Blake; Diploma for soft fruit – Mr A Ripley; Jubilee cup for domestic - Mrs J Payne/Mrs C Glanfield; Colville cup for lady with most points: Mrs S Westney; Jack Biggs cup for best horticultural exhibit – Mr D Fairhead.
First prize winners were as follows: 3 roses J Elliott, 1 rose J Webb, 5 roses J Elliott, vase roses C Clarke, miniature rose in pot J Elliott, 3 cultivars sweet peas A Ripley , 12 stems sweet peas J Perkins, bowl sweet peas A Ripley, vase cut flowers A Ripley, vase perennials J Thomson, vase annuals A Ripley, vase pinks J Webb, specimen bloom A Ripley, 6 pansies A Piper, 6 fuchsia heads M Whistlecraft, fuchsia A Blake, pelargonium A Blake, begonia M Whistlecraft, Orchid S Westney, Cactus or succulent J Yaxley, fern A Blake, flowering pot plant A Blake, foliage pot plant A Blake, hanging basket D Glanfield, Hanging pouch A Blake, ‘The Beccles Vase’ A Blake, New entrant – any flower or pot plant L Godfrey.
Shallots A Blake, peas J Thomson, French beans A Blake, broad beans A Ripley, white potatoes D Fairhead, red potatoes D Fairhead, cabbage D Glanfield, lettuce S Westney, onions D Glanfield, cucumber R Bedwell, cauliflower D Fairhead, carrots J Thomson, beetroot D Fairhead, collection of vegetables D Fairhead, any other vegetable A Blake, herbs J Webb, new exhibitor – any vegetable L Maguire, raspberries A Ripley, gooseberries S Westney.
You may also want to watch:
Peach conserve J Payne, Bacon, thyme & potato muffins J Payne, Bakewell tart S Westney, Cherry and coconut cake C Glanfield.
The overall positions in show were : 1 A Blake (43 pts), 2 A Ripley (35 pts), 3 S Westney (28 pts).
- 1 Dad 'relieved' after stolen car found through power of social media
- 2 Couple separated by Covid reunited for 65th anniversary
- 3 'Leisure will be back' - Beccles reacts to PM roadmap announcement
- 4 Dog food brand's delight at launch of new range of wet food treats
- 5 Man in 70s airlifted to hospital following fall from bike
- 6 Coronavirus: How busy are our local hospitals?
- 7 New lease of life for fire ravaged town centre store
- 8 Five-pronged plan for Suffolk Covid recovery to be published in June
- 9 Motorists face 25-mile diversions with roads set to be closed
- 10 Suffolk's Red Rooster music festival WILL go ahead over August Bank Holiday