Support the fun of Fairtrade during special fortnight of events in Beccles
- Credit: Eastern Daily Press � 2015
Beccles will be celebrating its Fairtrade town status in style later this month with a range of events and prizes available to mark this year's Fairtrade Fortnight.
Taking place from February 27 to March 12, the theme will be 'Put Fairtrade in your Break', which invites people to try the products while having a rest, grabbing a cuppa or stopping for a snack.
Every time someone buys a product bearing the Fairtrade mark, they are helping farmers in developing countries get a fair deal.
The Beccles community is embracing the occasion, with businesses and schools supporting the message and encouraging people to buy from local stores selling the products. Beccles Library will be hosting a pop-up café on Saturday, March 4, with exclusively Fairtrade refreshments and snacks on the menu, and the opportunity to find out how the Fairtrade Foundation makes a vital difference to people around the world. It will be open from 10am until noon.
Visitors to Tesco in Beccles on Friday, March 10, can find out more about Fairtrade with information available, plus the opportunity to enter a competition.
Sir John Leman High School will be holding special assemblies, while JAM Baptist Youth Group and the First Steps Toddler Group at the Salvation Army Hall will also be joining in.
Wendy Moxon, chairman of the Beccles Fairtrade committee, said: 'We are extremely proud to be a Fairtrade town, and we're working with the community to bring Fairtrade products to more Beccles retailers. I'm delighted so many local businesses are taking part and I'd like to extend the invitation to others to get involved by arranging their own Fairtrade events.'
- 1 Challenging future for high streets amid fall in shoppers
- 2 Motorcyclist injured after crash in busy Suffolk road
- 3 Latest 'festival-style' market to take place next month
- 4 Care home's failings continue after damning report reveals abuse fears
- 5 Holiday business owner fined over £5k after 'excessive waste' found at site
- 6 Four taken to hospital after crash involving ambulance on A146
- 7 Five-bedroom country house with 'secret garden' on sale for £1.25m
- 8 Camera club showcases best of town's efforts
- 9 Investigation into fatal aircraft crash continues
- 10 New minister appointed for Beccles Salvation Army
The fortnight will culminate in a prize draw to win a hamper of Fairtrade treats donated by Tesco Beccles. Entry forms will be available at Beccles Library and at Tesco on March 10.
Simply name a local retailer that stocks Fairtrade, fill in your entry form and post it in the box provided, alternatively, visit www.facebook.com/fairtradebeccles for a chance to enter a second, online competition. The winner will be drawn and notified on March 12.
• Visit www.fairtrade.org.uk/fortnight