‘It’s like heaven to them’ – New sweet shop promises to wow younger generations
- Credit: Nick Butcher
Walk through the doors of a sweet shop, and you are transported back in time.
The walls, with jars full of sherbet lemons, bon bons, pear drops and countless other sugary wonders, instantly evoke childhood memories of picking the perfect treat.
And now Paul and Vanessa Kisby, better known as Mr and Mrs Sweetie, are determined to take you back to the good old days as they ready their latest store.
Sweeties, a traditional sweet shop, will open its doors in New Market, Beccles, on Saturday, October 20.
The couple, who have been married for 28 years and are from the town, cannot wait to show Beccles what they have in store.
Mr Kisby said: “You have to be passionate about what you do; we eat, breathe and sleep sweets.
“It makes you feel quite proud to be able to open a shop in the town where you are from.”
- 1 'A very special weekend' - Bungay set for 'happy and glorious' Jubilee
- 2 Art gallery celebrating local talent to launch at site of former mill
- 3 F1 star jumps out of plane over Suffolk town
- 4 What time will the Red Arrows be flying over Suffolk this weekend?
- 5 Major road to close for resurfacing works costing £81,000
- 6 Museum ready for 21st century after 'transformation'
- 7 Popular band preparing to celebrate best of British music in Beccles
- 8 Suffolk Philharmonic to headline Jubilee events at town theatre
- 9 Boost for Beccles Men's Shed with grant funding donation
- 10 Suffolk drivers urged to use caution in Quiet Lanes amid growing scheme
Last year the couple opened their first Sweeties store in Southwold and are hoping to build on the success in their hometown.
Mrs Kisby said “It amazes me that children will still come in and ask for a quarter of sweets.
“The reaction you get from children when they walk in and see a proper traditional sweet shop is amazing – it’s like heaven to them.”
It is no surprise the couple’s business garners much admiration from young sweet lovers – their new store offers more than 250 jars of sweets and a variety of specialist sweets.
Mrs Kisby added: “We have special dietary sweets, vegan sweets, sugar free sweets and gluten free sweets. We try and cater for everyone.”
The family run business will be open seven days a week and anticipation is already building for its grand opening this Saturday.
From 10am onwards there will be a stilt-walker, Buzz Lightyear and a town crier Yanny Mac directing people of the town to the new store.
And a Mrs Brown’s Boys tribute act inside attempting to operate the tills.
Mrs Kisby added: “Beccles is a close-knit friendly town and it has everything you need.
“We are hoping to offer a lovely little shop people can come and enjoy.”
For more information visit the ‘Sweeties Beccles’ Facebook page.