‘It’s like heaven to them’ – New sweet shop promises to wow younger generations
- Credit: Nick Butcher
Walk through the doors of a sweet shop, and you are transported back in time.
The walls, with jars full of sherbet lemons, bon bons, pear drops and countless other sugary wonders, instantly evoke childhood memories of picking the perfect treat.
And now Paul and Vanessa Kisby, better known as Mr and Mrs Sweetie, are determined to take you back to the good old days as they ready their latest store.
Sweeties, a traditional sweet shop, will open its doors in New Market, Beccles, on Saturday, October 20.
The couple, who have been married for 28 years and are from the town, cannot wait to show Beccles what they have in store.
You may also want to watch:
Mr Kisby said: “You have to be passionate about what you do; we eat, breathe and sleep sweets.
“It makes you feel quite proud to be able to open a shop in the town where you are from.”
- 1 Man admits voyeurism after filming people in bathrooms with hidden cameras
- 2 Man was found dead in wooded area after battle with alcoholism, inquest hears
- 3 Man arrested and cannabis seized as Kestrel team swoops on town
- 4 Town's post office to close within a month
- 5 Woman airlifted to hospital after crash
- 6 New appeal as pregnant woman goes missing again
- 7 Road remains closed after serious crash on A143
- 8 Man in 70s dies in A143 crash
- 9 Man in 70s who died in crash identified after public help
- 10 Manager's tears of happiness at hotel accolade
Last year the couple opened their first Sweeties store in Southwold and are hoping to build on the success in their hometown.
Mrs Kisby said “It amazes me that children will still come in and ask for a quarter of sweets.
“The reaction you get from children when they walk in and see a proper traditional sweet shop is amazing – it’s like heaven to them.”
It is no surprise the couple’s business garners much admiration from young sweet lovers – their new store offers more than 250 jars of sweets and a variety of specialist sweets.
Mrs Kisby added: “We have special dietary sweets, vegan sweets, sugar free sweets and gluten free sweets. We try and cater for everyone.”
The family run business will be open seven days a week and anticipation is already building for its grand opening this Saturday.
From 10am onwards there will be a stilt-walker, Buzz Lightyear and a town crier Yanny Mac directing people of the town to the new store.
And a Mrs Brown’s Boys tribute act inside attempting to operate the tills.
Mrs Kisby added: “Beccles is a close-knit friendly town and it has everything you need.
“We are hoping to offer a lovely little shop people can come and enjoy.”
For more information visit the ‘Sweeties Beccles’ Facebook page.