Talented youngsters perform in Beccles vocalist and musician competitions
- Credit: Archant
Talented young performers from Beccles and beyond have taken to the stage for the Young Vocalist and Young Musician of the Year competition.
Organised by the Rotary Club of Beccles, the event aims to give musicians under the age of 18 the opportunity to perform in front of an audience, to promote confidence and musical expertise.
Each youngster was asked to perform two compositions, with adjudicator Michael Nicholas - a former organist and Master of the Choristers at Norwich Cathedral - given the difficult task of choosing the winners.
There were nine entries in the vocalist competition, with Alice Cushing being crowned the champion, followed by Isabella Rodrigues in second and Ruby McDowell third.
Mr Nicholas expressed his appreciation for all the performances and gave some helpful hints about future improvements.
You may also want to watch:
Certificates in appreciation of the vocal ability, musicality and performance were also awarded to the other singers, Charlotte Rainer, Katy Goddard, Rosalind Ashdown Nichol, Lucy Yardy, Eloise Evans and Amber-Kelli Whittington Bradley.
In the Young Musician of the Year, there were 16 candidates playing a variety of instruments including the clarinet, harp, guitar piano and viola.
- 1 Man seen waving axe on horseback is jailed
- 2 Mattresses among items dumped in East Suffolk countryside
- 3 Travellers set up 'unauthorised' camp near to popular park in Oulton Broad
- 4 Woman in 20s suffers serious leg injuries in late night crash
- 5 Four men arrested after teenager robbed
- 6 Private coastal school joins partnership to continue 'academic excellence'
- 7 McDonald's branch to close for up to three months
- 8 'Illegal and unsafe' - Rave attended by 100 revellers is shut down
- 9 New McDonald's restaurant to open with safety measures in place
- 10 Theatre group to put on Joseph show - 17 months after original date
First place went to reigning champion Daisy Whymark on the violin, followed by Zach Knight on the alto saxophone in second and Poppy Whymark on the viola in third.
Certificates for their performances were awarded to Miya Newman, Oscar Cashell, Tia Thorn, Isabel Armstrong, Finty Woolf, Lawrence Penman, Samantha Penman, Ciara Betts-Layzell and Joseph Joel.
The winners of both competitions received a cup to be retained and second and third places were awarded medals.
The competitions were held at Beccles Public Hall on February 12, and the prizes were presented by the president of the Rotary Club of Beccles, Neil Peek.
Competition organiser Colleen Simpson said: “The audience and competitors had a thoroughly enjoyable afternoon and evening. It was the third year of the competition, the second for the vocalists, and the hall is booked for next year.
“The Rotary Club of Beccles wishes to thank the Beccles Public Hall volunteers, the audience for their support and the young musicians for demonstrating their versatile and skilful talents.”