Teens enjoy special Girlguiding holiday
- Credit: Archant
Two Beccles teenagers have been on a trip of a lifetime with Girlguiding.
Charlotte Lanham, 16, from Worlingham, and Ellen Rogers, 17, from Beccles, travelled to Croatia with four other Girlguiding members from across East Anglia.
The trip is one of a number of events taking place this year to mark 100 years of Girlguiding’s senior section, which is open to all girls and young women aged 14 to 25.
It was the first time that Charlotte had ever been on a plane and while the duo were there they explored the towns and cities of Medulin, Pula and Rovinj and travelled by boat to Venice to spend the day in the Italian city.
Charlotte, who is a young leader at Rainbows, said: “I’ve never flown before or been to a different country so the whole trip was a new experience. Venice was stunning. Every corner there was something new to explore.”
You may also want to watch:
And she overcame her fear of open water by having a go at glow paddle boarding, an activity which took place at night on special boards that lit up.
She said: “I am terrified of open water, but I knew if I backed out I would regret it. Seeing all the water light up around me from the board was incredible. The fish all swam along happily beside us which was pretty awesome too.”
- 1 Kind-hearted man donates money to vital oxygen therapy centre
- 2 Wanted Waveney man may be in London
- 3 Films to be screened across district as silent outdoor cinema launches
- 4 Appeal to find missing woman last seen near Suffolk coast
- 5 New day care centre set to open in former Methodist church
- 6 Lorry in collision with a tree near Halesworth
- 7 Pings and exemptions: What are the rules around self-isolation?
- 8 'Vindicated at last' - Pension compensation on the horizon for WASPI women
- 9 Banned motorist admits dangerous driving around town
- 10 Family fundraising for Aimee, 16, after leukaemia diagnosis
Ellen took part in the same activities, but also braved para-sailing.
She said: “It was my biggest challenge as I was quite scared, but once I was up there the view was breath-taking.”
The senior section offers a host of opportunities to older girls in guiding – from international travel and adventure to advocacy and leadership skills.
Before the trip Charlotte, Ellen and the rest of the group had to raise more than £3,000 and they arranged events including quiz nights, discos and cake sales.
The trip to Croatia was organised as part of Girlguiding Anglia’s International Opportunities programme, which offers international adventures to 50 young women each year.