Tesco in talks with town leaders
Supermarket giant Tesco is meeting community representatives in Halesworth to discuss its proposals for the town.It owns a site between Saxon's Way and The Thoroughfare, where planning permission for a supermarket and car parking was granted in 2002.
Supermarket giant Tesco is meeting community representatives in Halesworth to discuss its proposals for the town.
It owns a site between Saxon's Way and The Thoroughfare, where planning permission for a supermarket and car parking was granted in 2002.
Tesco's corporate affairs manager Michael Kissman said that he and other colleagues are meeting with groups in Halesworth to discuss the site's future. “We have a commitment to consult with the public. We are the new landlords and we are listening to residents' needs,” he said.
Resident Jane Leighton, who objects to the possibility of a second supermarket in Halesworth, appealed to residents and councillors to oppose Tesco store plans.
You may also want to watch:
She said: “Tesco already has a large store in Beccles, nine miles away. And it delivers to the door in Halesworth. So why does Tesco need to build a store that could displace local businesses in Halesworth?”
- 1 Life sentence for convicted rapist who attempted to murder Norfolk woman
- 2 Honda motorbike stolen in overnight theft in Bungay
- 3 Man dies in industrial incident at plastics factory
- 4 The community hub bringing the heart of Beccles together
- 5 Toolstation opens new store in Beccles
- 6 Free October half term events around Beccles and Bungay
- 7 MP still hopes to host surgeries in person after colleague killed
- 8 Five Halloween events planned in Waveney this year
- 9 An A to Z of East Anglian cider
- 10 New brewery restaurant opens for tapas nights, afternoon tea and more