MP hits out at fake posters following loss of vital bus route
An MP has hit out at the fake and malicious posters which circulated among Suffolk towns following the loss of a vital bus route.
Hundreds of rural commuters faced potential isolation after Konnectbus announced it would be axing its 88 and 87 routes from Norwich to Halesworth on March 31.
The removal of the route meant there would be no through buses between Southwold, Bungay and Halesworth.
Since the announcement in January there were reports of fake posters, created and circulated locally, which spread undue alarm among residents.
Following discussions with Suffolk County Council, FirstGroup has now steeped in to run a new 99A service from April 1.
You may also want to watch:
And Therese Coffey, Suffolk Coastal MP, has thanked the bus company as well as damning those who circulated the fake posters.
She said: “Many constituents who regularly use this service were understandable concerned about its withdrawal were upset about the tone of the posters being circulated locally which purported to be from the bus company.
- 1 New Toolstation store opens in Beccles
- 2 Tyres slashed on parked cars with damage caused overnight in Beccles
- 3 School to play key role in supporting pupils' mental health across country
- 4 Drive-in fireworks display with food village returning for 2021
- 5 Transport pilot launched to help isolated communities around Bungay
- 6 Quarry restoration to take six more years after delays
- 7 Man dies in industrial incident at plastics factory
- 8 See Hunter's Moon and Orionid meteors in Suffolk skies tonight
- 9 Do you have rare East Anglian apples growing in your garden?
- 10 Can you help bring festive cheer to children in care this Christmas?
“My thanks go to Suffolk County Council and FirstGroup for ensuring this bus service will continue. I am sure local residents will be delighted with the outcome.
The new service will operate on an hourly basis from Lowestoft to Southwold and include direct connections to Halesworth.
For those passengers travelling from Southwold to Norwich they will now have to change at Bungay and get a connecting bus to the city.
While the introduction of the new service will provide those otherwise left isolated with transport – the need to change had drawn some criticism from users.
Alexander Griffin, from Halesworth, suffers from epilepsy and uses the bus to attend Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital.
The 37-year-old previously raised concerns about the changeover and said: “Transferring at Bungay may prove confusing for young adults.
“By adding another connection into these journeys routes, irrespective of how simple they claim it will be, if the Halesworth to Bungay bus is delayed to the point where you miss your connection it will protract an already lengthy journey.
“I actually dread to think how long it will take.”