Town goes back in time
THE clock was turned back in Beccles yesterday, Monday April 13, as an Elizabethan pageant featuring music of the period and costumed players got underway.
THE clock was turned back in Beccles on Monday, as an Elizabethan pageant featuring music of the period and costumed players got underway.
A group bedecked in robes of the era gathered in the town centre where they were joined by Queen Elizabeth I who arrived on horse back.
The event was organised by the Beccles and District Museum, which this year received a full-size three-quarter length portrait of Elizabethan Sir John Leman, and houses a number of items relating to Queen Elizabeth I, which will be on display this season.
Local charity group Beccles Helping Hands dressed as Elizabethans and Jill Osborne-Biddiscombe assumed the role of the Queen, riding into town on Dylan.
A crowd gathered to watch as the group processed through the town to the museum in Ballygate where the Queen held court.
Local musical ensemble Cantocordia, who specialise in medieval music, played at the museum during the afternoon.
- 1 City burger joint takes beef off the menu
- 2 'Incredible turnout' as protesters demand River Waveney clean up
- 3 Traffic to be diverted with road temporarily closed for repair works
- 4 'I keep selling out' - Mum-of-two dreams of fudge shop as business thrives
- 5 100 East Anglian events you cannot miss this summer
- 6 Fishing equipment stolen after thieves smash car window
- 7 5 of the best brewery tours in Suffolk
- 8 Queen's Jubilee celebration events aplenty to enjoy in Waveney
- 9 MP calls for investment for east coast rail lines
- 10 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
The Sir John Leman's pageant was one of the first events of the Waveney Revels festival, which runs until May 4.
For full event details go to www.waveney.go.uk/revels
CAPTION: The Elizabethan Pageant from Beccles Museum.
Cantocordia, Tudor musicians playing at the event
Liz Jones, playing her Rebec (pic 16)
Queen Elizabeth, Jill Osborne-Biddiscombe, riding into town (pic 6)