Bridge to close for latest repair works
- Credit: Nick Butcher
Drivers and mariners could face disruption as a series of overnight repair works take place on a busy bridge.
Highways England is carrying out works to the A47 Bascule Bridge in Lowestoft over the next week and a half.
The A47 Bascule Bridge is closed overnight from 8pm each evening until 6am the following morning, as the works are scheduled to continue until 6am on January 17.
With this closure in place "delays are likely" according to the Suffolk Roadworks map.
It said: "A47 Northbound Bascule Bridge - Carriageway closure and diversion route due to construction works on behalf of Graham Construction."
You may also want to watch:
The scheduled "essential maintenance works" were due to take place last month, but were delayed until this week.
With the work under way, it means the bridge is temporarily closed overnight from 8pm each evening with a diversion route in operation until January 17.
- 1 Restaurant fined for refusing to close in third lockdown
- 2 Yellow weather warning for snow in place across region
- 3 Hundreds receive coronavirus vaccine at pharmacy
- 4 People 'losing patience' with neighbours who flout Covid rules, police say
- 5 It's 'a long, long way' until lockdown restrictions are lifted - Hancock
- 6 Tributes to much-loved Laura, 28, after Covid death
- 7 'Manipulative and scheming' man jailed for child sex offences
- 8 Anger from council over felled silver jubilee trees
- 9 Woman in her 20s among 31 Covid patients to die in five days at hospital
- 10 Rapid Covid test sites planned for Bury St Edmunds and Lowestoft
While the A47 is closed, northbound traffic will be diverted via the A12, B1531, A1117, A1144 and A47.
Southbound traffic will follow the same diversion in reverse.