Fallen trees block Suffolk roads as Storm Barra batters region
- Credit: Google Maps
Fallen trees are currently blocking two Suffolk roads as strong winds continue to batter the county.
A tree is currently blocking the road near Bucklesham Hall
Police were called to the fallen tree in the road just before 3.10pm.
A spokesman for Suffolk police said: "The tree is over the carriageway and is blocking the road.
"Traffic is building in the area and Highways have been made aware."
A second fallen tree is currently blocking Church Road in Beccles.
Officers were made aware of the obstacle in the road near the church and have confirmed that highways officers are aware.
A yellow weather warning has been put in place for the region today with gusts of wind up to 55mph expected in land.
- 1 Meet the couple who won holidays by the sea for a year
- 2 Investigations continue after objects thrown at driver by woman
- 3 Case closed after parked vehicles have tyres punctured
- 4 Popular folk duo set for return to town's theatre
- 5 Town's rotary club helps replenish primary school's book stock
- 6 'He would be proud' - Son of Covid victim now working in jab centre
- 7 School 'thrilled' at latest Ofsted inspection
- 8 Exciting new comedy club launches at town's theatre
- 9 Warning over cold callers claiming to be from home improvements company
However, meteorologists at the East Anglian-based weather forecasters Weatherquest said the peak of the winds is still yet to come.
"The peak is still to happen and it is coming in the next couple hours or so," said a Weatherquest spokesman.
"Right on the coast gusts might get up to 65mph maximum and most inland areas will probably have gusts of 50mph-55mph.
"The winds will drop off quite quickly for the evening so winds will be fairly light for a time this evening before increasing in the early hours of tomorrow.
"Looking into tomorrow we will only really have gusts of 40mph-45mph as a maximum which is pretty much the same gusts we have already seen today."
It was thought that the Ipswich Round Table event where Father Christmas travels around the town would be cancelled.
But it has now been confirmed that the event will still go ahead as planned.
The strong winds has also meant the speed limit on the Orwell Bridge has been reduced to 40mph.
Flood alerts have also been issued for the Suffolk coast and estuaries, with flooding expected along some footpaths and roads.