Travellers set up camp in Bungay and Halesworth car parks
- Credit: Nick Butcher
Two groups of travellers have set up camp on car parks in Bungay and Halesworth.
The travellers, who have moved on from their previous camp in Lowestoft, arrived on Wednesday evening.
There are believed to be about half a dozen caravans parked on Scales Street car park and the nearby Clays printing works car park in Bungay, with 15 to 20 at Angel Link car park in Halesworth. A police spokesman said officers were sent to Bungay at around 8pm on Wednesday to assess the situation and would be working in partnership with the council.
In a statement, Waveney District Council said: “The police, district council and county council are working together to manage the situation.
“We follow a set procedure to establish the intentions of the travellers and then work to minimise the disruption for all concerned.
You may also want to watch:
“This is a fluid, ongoing situation. This is now being assessed and appropriate steps will be taken to address this, as part of the multi-agency approach.”
The travellers have caused concern for some residents ahead of events being held in both towns this weekend, with car parking spaces needed for those coming to the area.
- 1 Air ambulance called after man suffers medical emergency in Bungay
- 2 'It's pretty awful' - Anger as cannabis waste dumped by beauty spot
- 3 Revealed - Where Suffolk's recycling waste is shipped to
- 4 Norfolk man found drunk at wheel twice in less than a month
- 5 Woman taken to hospital following crash on A146
- 6 'Red-and-white spray paint doesn't count' - three danger lorries stopped
- 7 Primary school on track to achieving 'good' status according to Ofsted
- 8 'Human swan' to fly over Suffolk during 3,000-mile UK flight
- 9 Man charged with driving offences following police pursuit
- 10 'I can't carry it' - Shock as plant starts growing eight inches a day