Two weeks of fun promised at Bungay’s summer festival
- Credit: Eastern Daily Press © 2014
The annual Bungay Summer Festival gets under way on July 9, when the Bigod Flag will be raised at the castle to herald two weeks of varied events.
They will include many of the popular events seen in previous years, including the Kids Fun Day, which follows the flag raising, the antiques street market, Shakespeare at the Castle, the Town Reeve’s Ball, the ale trail, the Mozart Orchestra concert, the Teddy Bears Picnic and many others.
The Duck Race, first held last year at the Falcon Meadow and a great success, is included again on July 10 and a new event is an activity weekend and big fun day at the River Waveney Trust Centre at Earsham on July 23 and 24.
The Bungay Good Read Group event this year will feature author Linda Davies, writer of thrillers and the Djinn series for younger readers. And the Black Dog Arts garden trail will feature hidden chickens for children to find.
Another new event features the Windbourne Singers acapella workshop and concert at the Emmanuel Church Hall, while the Bungay Society and Friends of St Mary’s Church are organising Making Merry at St Mary’s – an evening of short talks in the Priory ruins, with topics including the ancient ales games, the Benedictine nunnery founded at the site and, hopefully, the peregrine falcon.
You may also want to watch:
The Bungay Means Business event this year will be at the Fisher Theatre, and will again include an exhibition of photographs by Bungay Camera Club. The festival closes on July 24 with the lowering of the flag and a display by the Split Your Sides Morris dancing team.
Full details of dates, times, costs and how to get tickets are in the festival programme which is available at several outlets in the town, including the library, or you can search on Facebook for the What’s on in Bungay page.
- 1 Man in 70s who died in crash identified after public help
- 2 Man in 70s dies in A143 crash
- 3 Manager's tears of happiness at hotel accolade
- 4 Man was found dead in wooded area after battle with alcoholism, inquest hears
- 5 Road remains closed after serious crash on A143
- 6 Town's post office to close within a month
- 7 New appeal as pregnant woman goes missing again
- 8 Man arrested and cannabis seized as Kestrel team swoops on town
- 9 Man admits voyeurism after filming people in bathrooms with hidden cameras
- 10 Woman airlifted to hospital after crash
Have you got a Bungay story? Email the details to email@example.com or call 01502 712060.