Ukranian teens improve their language skills during stay in Beccles
- Credit: Nick Butcher
A group of teenagers from Ukraine have spent a fortnight in Suffolk learning more about the English language and lifestyle.
The group are visiting from Zhytomyr in north west Ukraine, and their trip has been organised by Worlingham-based Sophia Language Academy.
The students spent a week staying in Framlingham, before coming to stay with host families in Beccles this week, and have visited numerous local points of interest in the surrounding area.
As well as English lessons, the students, who are aged between 13 and 17, have been on trips to Pleasurewood Hills, Orford Ness and Norwich.
Sixteen-year-old Bogdana Romaniuk said: “First of all I wanted to improve my language skills because I’ve been studying for 10 years but I also wanted to see something new and see the sights in England.
“I’m enjoying everything, I like the people here so much, they are so friendly, gracious and every day we have a chat with different people.”
The trip has been organised by husband and wife duo Nicholas and Oksana Morgan-Baker, who are both teachers.
- 1 Town start season with home win
- 2 Is size the secret of south Norfolk's 'up and coming' village?
- 3 Enjoy the wonders of hidden exotic garden at summer open days
- 4 Imaginations soar as popular sculpture trail returns
- 5 League of Friends of Hospital raise & invest staggering sum of money
- 6 Product sold at Tesco recalled due to risk of disease-causing bacteria
- 7 Roll-out of free Wi-Fi continues in east Suffolk
- 8 Obituary: 'Remarkable' musician remembered with publication of new book
- 9 Britain's Got Talent star to perform at Bungay's Fisher Theatre
- 10 Georgian vicarage with four bedrooms and two gardens on sale for £875k
It is the first time the couple have run the scheme, and taught the students lessons on subjects including geography and history alongside their English lessons and educational visits.
Student Roman Fomenko said: “We visited a lot of amazing places such as Cambridge, Orford Castle and Framlingham Castle.
“The achitecture is very different to Ukraine.”
Are you organising a cultural visit to Beccles? Email the details to polly.grice.archant.co.uk or call 01502 715 674 to speak to one of the reporters.