Village's oldest resident passes away
Louisa Kennard GELDESTON'S oldest resident has died at the grand age of 104.Lilian Lane, who has a trophy named after her, awarded each year at the village show, died at Beccles Hospital at the end of last month.
GELDESTON'S oldest resident has died at the grand age of 104.
Lilian Lane, who has a trophy named after her, awarded each year at the village show, died at Beccles Hospital at the end of last month.
She and her husband Leslie, who passed away in 2003, were married 72 years before his death and put their happy years together down to a bit of give and take.
You may also want to watch:
They lived in the village together where Lilian cooked for Sir Philip and Lady Dowson at Geldeston House well into her 90s, and he worked as a gardener, eventually being awarded a long service medal.
Lilian was brought up in Mettingham and moved to Wimbledon where she was in service to a lady who lived alone, but had 10 servants.
- 1 No need to wait for booster invitation - clarification after Covid jab confusion
- 2 Christmas in doubt as toy shop boss 'struggling with stock'
- 3 Youngsters prepare to take to the stage for debut performance
- 4 Farm shop owners 'absolutely thrilled' at national award
- 5 Drive-in fireworks display with food village returning for 2021
- 6 New Toolstation store opens in Beccles
- 7 Tyres slashed on parked cars with damage caused overnight in Beccles
- 8 Waveney schools to bring in additional measures to fight Covid rise
- 9 Man dies in industrial incident at plastics factory
- 10 Man on walking tour of UK's coastline 'met with so much love' in Suffolk
After moving back to Geldeston she married Leslie at Mettingham parish church on October 31, 1931.
Lilian was a founder member of Geldeston WI, the Women's Union and was on the village hall committee.
Lilian died at Beccles Hospital on January 30 and leaves behind one son John, daughter in law Heather, five grandchildren and three great grandchildren.
Donations in memory of Lilian for Cancer Research UK may be sent c/o Rosedale Funeral Home in Upper Olland Street, Bungay.