Village's oldest resident passes away
Louisa Kennard GELDESTON'S oldest resident has died at the grand age of 104.Lilian Lane, who has a trophy named after her, awarded each year at the village show, died at Beccles Hospital at the end of last month.
GELDESTON'S oldest resident has died at the grand age of 104.
Lilian Lane, who has a trophy named after her, awarded each year at the village show, died at Beccles Hospital at the end of last month.
She and her husband Leslie, who passed away in 2003, were married 72 years before his death and put their happy years together down to a bit of give and take.
You may also want to watch:
They lived in the village together where Lilian cooked for Sir Philip and Lady Dowson at Geldeston House well into her 90s, and he worked as a gardener, eventually being awarded a long service medal.
Lilian was brought up in Mettingham and moved to Wimbledon where she was in service to a lady who lived alone, but had 10 servants.
- 1 'Small number' of staff at town's Tesco test positive for Covid-19
- 2 Former pub and restaurant could become six-bed home
- 3 'Everyone knew' Suffolk journalist David Lennard in the towns he covered during long career
- 4 Police concerned for welfare of missing 14-year-old girl
- 5 Latitude boss 'super confident' about 2021 events going ahead
- 6 Tributes to 'much loved' council worker as dustcart leads funeral cortège
- 7 Son's concern as Covid hospital patient, 85, moved seven times in two weeks
- 8 Coronavirus case rates in Suffolk continue to fall below national average
- 9 Hazardous materials scare as 'suspicious package' found at delivery centre
- 10 Restaurant fined for refusing to close in third lockdown
After moving back to Geldeston she married Leslie at Mettingham parish church on October 31, 1931.
Lilian was a founder member of Geldeston WI, the Women's Union and was on the village hall committee.
Lilian died at Beccles Hospital on January 30 and leaves behind one son John, daughter in law Heather, five grandchildren and three great grandchildren.
Donations in memory of Lilian for Cancer Research UK may be sent c/o Rosedale Funeral Home in Upper Olland Street, Bungay.