Visitors bowled over by Beccles open day
- Credit: Nick Butcher
Around 40 people had a go at bowls for the first time at an open day designed to attract new members.
Players young and old visited Beccles Indoor Bowls Club for the taster day on Sunday.
Graham Catchpole, chairman of the club, said the day was a real success.
“We had people of all ages trying their hand at the game and in the first hour and a half we had 25 people turn up to have a go,” he said.
“We had a few youngsters and some in their late teens, right up to people in their 70s.
You may also want to watch:
“We had five people sign up on the day and we handed out 27 application forms, so we are hoping to get quite a few more players.”
The club has been running since 1974, and currently has 340 members aged from 10 up to their 90s. And despite already being well used, there is still room for more to join.
- 1 Man makes comments to 18-year-old before kissing her hand in Bungay
- 2 Village pub opens brand new café
- 3 Traffic starting to build after crash in Beccles
- 4 Gull numbers 'highest in years' as town to use drones to investigate issue
- 5 Staff shortages hit Beccles Lido opening hours
- 6 Woman who was found with maggots living in hand evicted from care home
- 7 New shop sells items made by people who learnt crafts in lockdown
- 8 School Trust's new teacher training programme launches
- 9 Pinocchio the £6,700 pedigree bull smashes cattle market's price record
- 10 Use torches rather than streetlights in rural areas, says climate adviser
Beccles Indoor Bowls Club caters for all - social bowlers, club league bowlers and competitive bowls up to national level.
Bill Crowther, 73, from Oulton Broad, was one of those who attended. He said: “This is my first time playing the game and I have really enjoyed it so far.
“The club seems really nice and the people are very friendly. I will more than likely join as a member as the membership is very reasonably priced and I think the game is great for people of all ages and abilities to come together and socialise.”
The open day was held at the club’s premises in Common Lane South. The club is open seven days a week from 10am to 10.30pm and has six two-hour sessions each day.
For further information about the club or how to join call 01502 713549.
Are you organising a special event? Email email@example.com