Visitors bowled over by Beccles open day
- Credit: Nick Butcher
Around 40 people had a go at bowls for the first time at an open day designed to attract new members.
Players young and old visited Beccles Indoor Bowls Club for the taster day on Sunday.
Graham Catchpole, chairman of the club, said the day was a real success.
“We had people of all ages trying their hand at the game and in the first hour and a half we had 25 people turn up to have a go,” he said.
“We had a few youngsters and some in their late teens, right up to people in their 70s.
“We had five people sign up on the day and we handed out 27 application forms, so we are hoping to get quite a few more players.”
The club has been running since 1974, and currently has 340 members aged from 10 up to their 90s. And despite already being well used, there is still room for more to join.
- 1 Hidden aspects of Beccles uncovered in new book
- 2 Call for flat roof owners to help fight gull problem
- 3 DVLA issues urgent warning to drivers in UK
- 4 Vital new community bus service launches to help isolated get out and about
- 5 MP reiterates call for PM to quit after 'inevitable' resignations
- 6 Have you seen artist's phenomenal sculptures made from cutlery?
- 7 Family fun day on town meadow hailed a hit
- 8 Chancellor and health secretary dramatically quit
- 9 Free hearing aids for teddy bears in Norwich this weekend
- 10 Youth theatre group set to stage The Little Shop of Horrors
Beccles Indoor Bowls Club caters for all - social bowlers, club league bowlers and competitive bowls up to national level.
Bill Crowther, 73, from Oulton Broad, was one of those who attended. He said: “This is my first time playing the game and I have really enjoyed it so far.
“The club seems really nice and the people are very friendly. I will more than likely join as a member as the membership is very reasonably priced and I think the game is great for people of all ages and abilities to come together and socialise.”
The open day was held at the club’s premises in Common Lane South. The club is open seven days a week from 10am to 10.30pm and has six two-hour sessions each day.
For further information about the club or how to join call 01502 713549.
Are you organising a special event? Email email@example.com