Volunteers work hard to restore Beccles play park
- Credit: Archant
Work has been carried out on the common play park in Beccles thanks to a team of volunteers and town councillors Elfrede Brambley-Crawshaw and Sam Kenward,
The councillors took part in the work, which including re-painting the equipment, as part of their youth champion roles.
Mrs Brambley-Crawshaw said: “I organised the volunteers after hearing many peoples concerns about the area since becoming a councillor in May.
“We are happy that the volunteers will now form a ‘community action group’ to protect the park in the future.”
Among those helping out was Ben Tonkes, a Beccles carpenter who rebuilt the mini wooden roofs on top of the play equipment, with wood supplied by builders merchant CC Betts.
You may also want to watch:
Parents of children from Albert Pye School, including Ailsa Macdonald, Kate Tayor, Kate Trelawny, Rosemary Brambley, Barbara Harrington, Harry Harrington and Sarah Tonkes, also helped with the work.
Mrs Brambley-Crawshaw said: “There was a tremendous feeling of community spirit and a drive to make things better.
- 1 Man arrested and cannabis seized as Kestrel team swoops on town
- 2 What does tier two mean for you? Step-by-step guide to new rules
- 3 Town's post office to close within a month
- 4 Woman airlifted to hospital after crash
- 5 How do Tier 1 areas like Cornwall compare to Suffolk?
- 6 Bridge to close with traffic set to be diverted
- 7 Cyclist attacks car with handlebars and threatens driver
- 8 New appeal as pregnant woman goes missing again
- 9 Safety plea after child pictured at base of crumbling cliff
- 10 Merger plans unveiled for four pupil referral unit schools
“Everyone worked solidly for three days before the summer holidays to ensure that the park was entirely re-painted, weeded and clean.
“A couple walking past actually thought the play equipment had been replaced it looked so shiny and new!
“On the first day of the summer holidays the parents and children had a picnic on site - the children were extremely excited and proud of their parents.”
The two councillors are now planning to do the same with other play parks in Beccles.
You can see the work of the Youth Champion team on Facebook under Championing Beccles Youth.
Have you got a story from Beccles? Email email@example.com or call 01502 712060 to speak to a reporter.