Watch: Beccles artist’s wheelie bin video goes viral with 35 million views
- Credit: Nick Butcher
It might be watching paint dry – but it is clearly more gripping than the phrase normally suggests.
Videos posted online by Beccles-based artist Brett Day painting designs on wheelie bins have been viewed millions of times.
One of videos alone has clocked up more than 35 millions views and shares, making him an unlikely internet sensation with thousands of people logging on to his YouTube channel each week to watch him create his works of art.
What is all the more impressive, is that apart from painting his front room, until two years ago Mr Day had never so much as picked up a brush, let alone create unique pieces of art.
The father-of-three was first inspired to start painting after watching Bob Ross's The Joy of Painting on television.
He decided to try it himself and asked for some oil paints for an upcoming birthday and has not looked back.
'I started with oil on canvas paintings before turning to airbrushing and then spray painting. In recent months I have been commissioned to paint everything from bread bins to BBQs – and the never-ending requests for wheelie bins.
- 1 Challenging future for high streets amid fall in shoppers
- 2 Motorcyclist injured after crash in busy Suffolk road
- 3 Latest 'festival-style' market to take place next month
- 4 Care home's failings continue after damning report reveals abuse fears
- 5 Holiday business owner fined over £5k after 'excessive waste' found at site
- 6 Five-bedroom country house with 'secret garden' on sale for £1.25m
- 7 Camera club showcases best of town's efforts
- 8 Four taken to hospital after crash involving ambulance on A146
- 9 New minister appointed for Beccles Salvation Army
- 10 Investigation into fatal aircraft crash continues
He said: 'The wheelie bin idea came about because I thought my bin was looking a bit grotty so I decided to paint in and upload the video to Facebook.
'I normally get two to three thousand views but at the end of the day there were 250,000 and then one million the next day and it kept growing at one million each day.'
You can follow Mr Day's work at www.paintwithbrett.co.uk or www.youtube.com/paintwithbrett
Have you posted a video which has gone viral? Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 01502 712060.