Water meadow ‘saved’ after community battle
- Credit: Nick Butcher
Activists are celebrating after winning a seven-week race against time to buy a piece of unspoilt Waveney water meadow.
Falcon Meadow, in Ditchingham could have been lost to the community when it was sold at auction had the group not come up with the £50,000 purchase price.
After raising the money through donations and personal loans, the 50-strong group have ensured that the four-acre site will remain a public space.
A number of events have now been planned to raise money to repay the supporters, including a charity duck race.
The meadow will be owned and administered by a new charity, the Falcon Meadow Community Trust, and a team of five trustees..
You may also want to watch:
The group hopes to raise the money to pay back the loans through a series of public events on the much-loved local beauty spot, and to conserve their purchase for the communities of Bungay and Ditchingham.
For their first event this summer, the Falcon Trustees have chosen to inaugurate an annual Duck Race, because they believe the River Waveney at Bungay and Ditchingham, combined with Falcon Meadow, makes for a near-perfect duck racing course.
- 1 'It's pretty awful' - Anger as cannabis waste dumped by beauty spot
- 2 Air ambulance called after man suffers medical emergency in Bungay
- 3 Norfolk man found drunk at wheel twice in less than a month
- 4 Primary school on track to achieving 'good' status according to Ofsted
- 5 'Red-and-white spray paint doesn't count' - three danger lorries stopped
- 6 Man 'let down' by GPs after undiagnosed pneumonia death, mother claims
- 7 Revealed - Where Suffolk's recycling waste is shipped to
- 8 Woman taken to hospital following crash on A146
- 9 'Human swan' to fly over Suffolk during 3,000-mile UK flight
- 10 'I can't carry it' - Shock as plant starts growing eight inches a day
Tim Child, part of the trust, said: “It’s a lovely part of the River Waveney and fantastic beauty spot.
“The land can now continue to be enjoyed by everyone.”
Duck races at Beccles and Reedham have already proved popular family events, raising thousands of pounds for local charities.
The Trust will unveil this year’s Fundraising for Falcon campaign at a meeting in Bungay’s Emmanuel Rooms, at 6.30pm on Wednesday, May 13 and everyone is invited to attend.
Do you have a story for us? Email email@example.com or call 01502 712060.