No stampsies! Conkers tournament returns with capacity crowd
- Credit: DENISE BRADLEY/Archant2021
It was conkers at dawn at a community pub as contestants fought it out to be champion of a returning competition.
The Waveney Valley Conkers Tournament returned with a capacity crowd after a two-year hiatus.
Visitors to the Locks Inn Community Pub, in Geldeston, on Sunday watched Martin 'The Tickler' Smith retain his title in the adults competition, seeing off competition from twice-champion Josiah 'The Bean' Meldrum along the way.
Loddon Dwile Flonking captain Louisa Yallop was runner-up while, in the juniors competition, debutant Monty the Bear claimed the crown in a thrilling final with Archie Walker.
Three-year-old Rima Wilkinson almost caused an upset in the competition.
You may also want to watch:
Iggi Pollock's immersive and interactive 'Conker Sounds' claimed the Best Dressed Conker award, with Toni Cairns in second place with Conkers Inc.
Organiser Yanny Mac said: "It's fantastic to see so many folk outdoors enjoying the sunshine and exercise.
- 1 Man arrested on suspicion of drink and drug driving after fatal crash
- 2 Diversions in place as water main works take place in Loddon
- 3 Man in his 50s dies after head-on collision on A143
- 4 Special woodland event to remember those we have lost
- 5 Stunning swan photo shot in Norfolk gains national recognition
- 6 Part of A143 closed after three-vehicle crash in early hours
- 7 Norfolk boatyard sells at auction for almost double expected guide price
- 8 Man dies in industrial incident at plastics factory
- 9 Suffolk police share ridiculous reasons for 999 calls
- 10 New Toolstation store opens in Beccles
"Apart from the odd snag, a rogue stampsie and some very unsteady nuts, the tournament was played out honourably."
The event raised more than £60 for the new Beccles Community Hub in Blyburgate.