Weekend of entertainment lined up for Beccles Carnival
- Credit: Nick Butcher
People in Beccles are gearing up for one of the main events on the town calendar.
Carnival weekend takes place later this month with the main parade on Sunday, August 21, leaving Roys car park in Blyburgate at 1pm.
But amongst the variety of family fun events on offer including a fancy dress and bonny baby competition, there is also a chance for any budding bakers to test out their culinary skills.
This year is the first Beccles Carnival Bake Off and it takes place at Beccles Quay between 1pm and 3pm on Saturday, August 20.
Entries will be judged by members of the North Cove and Barnby WI and Miss Beccles 2016 Stephanie Tsang.
You may also want to watch:
After judging has taken place, the winners will be announced on the main stage and all cakes will be sold in the bake off marquee by Miss Tsang and her attendants.
The cakes will be split into various categories: best six cupcakes (children up to 16 years of age); best six cupcakes; best tray bake (children up to 16 years of age); best gluten free; best eight to 10 inch cake; best decorated carnival themed cake and best overall.
- 1 Latitude line-up reveal delayed as bosses look to learn from Liverpool test
- 2 McDonald's branch to close for up to three months
- 3 'Absolutely crazy' - Beer gardens bustle on first weekend open
- 4 Photos of suspected stolen dogs released in bid to find owners
- 5 Police told family of father who died after restraint that he was sleeping
- 6 'Lucky number seven' - Landlord opens 'flagship' pub in hometown
- 7 Is this your Range Rover? - Police seize vehicles and cash in raid
- 8 Air ambulance called after man and woman suffer medical emergencies
- 9 Driver flees after crashing into level crossing
- 10 Driver suffers minor injuries in crash with minibus
Straight after the bake off it will be the turn of the pooches to take centre stage for the first fun dog show.
Registration begins at 3pm and the contest begin at 4.45pm. It is £1 per class and you can enter as many classes as you like.
Categories include best puppy up to 12 months, handsome dog, prettiest bitch, best rescue, veteran over eight waggiest tail, dog most like its owner, best crossbreed and dog judges would most like to take home. The competition will be judged by Short Bark and Sides dog grooming of Wrentham.
Application forms for both events can be found in the carnival programme, which is priced at £1.
Programmes are available from Saxon of Beccles, as well as from stalls at the Beccles Duck Race tomorrow, Maisebrooke Farm Fete and Weston Country Fair. Lots of prizes are up for grabs in both competitions.
For more information visit www.becclescarnival.co.uk or email firstname.lastname@example.org