Weekend of entertainment lined up for Beccles Carnival
- Credit: Nick Butcher
People in Beccles are gearing up for one of the main events on the town calendar.
Carnival weekend takes place later this month with the main parade on Sunday, August 21, leaving Roys car park in Blyburgate at 1pm.
But amongst the variety of family fun events on offer including a fancy dress and bonny baby competition, there is also a chance for any budding bakers to test out their culinary skills.
This year is the first Beccles Carnival Bake Off and it takes place at Beccles Quay between 1pm and 3pm on Saturday, August 20.
Entries will be judged by members of the North Cove and Barnby WI and Miss Beccles 2016 Stephanie Tsang.
You may also want to watch:
After judging has taken place, the winners will be announced on the main stage and all cakes will be sold in the bake off marquee by Miss Tsang and her attendants.
The cakes will be split into various categories: best six cupcakes (children up to 16 years of age); best six cupcakes; best tray bake (children up to 16 years of age); best gluten free; best eight to 10 inch cake; best decorated carnival themed cake and best overall.
- 1 Plot of land near Beccles sells at auction for five times guide price
- 2 Weather warning as more thunderstorms set to hit parts of the region
- 3 Geldeston Locks Inn pub near Beccles temporarily closes due to Covid
- 4 'It was as if Covid didn't exist' - Latitude-goers report positive tests
- 5 West End star set to visit youngsters at Beccles Public Hall
- 6 Man has jaw broken following punch at Latitude Festival
- 7 Heartbreak as Beccles Ladies miss out on Wembley dream at final hurdle
- 8 Wanted Waveney man may be in London
- 9 Youngsters aged 12 to 18 to begin receiving Covid vaccinations
- 10 Devoted doctor, 93, to embark on dancing busk-athon in Lowestoft
Straight after the bake off it will be the turn of the pooches to take centre stage for the first fun dog show.
Registration begins at 3pm and the contest begin at 4.45pm. It is £1 per class and you can enter as many classes as you like.
Categories include best puppy up to 12 months, handsome dog, prettiest bitch, best rescue, veteran over eight waggiest tail, dog most like its owner, best crossbreed and dog judges would most like to take home. The competition will be judged by Short Bark and Sides dog grooming of Wrentham.
Application forms for both events can be found in the carnival programme, which is priced at £1.
Programmes are available from Saxon of Beccles, as well as from stalls at the Beccles Duck Race tomorrow, Maisebrooke Farm Fete and Weston Country Fair. Lots of prizes are up for grabs in both competitions.
For more information visit www.becclescarnival.co.uk or email email@example.com