Worlingham dad and daughter duo gearing up for London to Paris cycle
- Credit: Nick Butcher
A dad and daughter team are in training for an epic cycle from London to Paris to raise money for the British Red Cross.
Peter Hobbs and his daughter Sharon, who live in Worlingham, will be tackling the challenge completely unsupported, taking all their own kit with them on their bikes.
Their week-long journey next month will take them from the London Eye to the Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris - a distance of about 240 miles.
Mr Hobbs said: “Sharon and I used to work together in the pharmacy at Beccles Health Centre and it’s something we thought we would do together.
“I turned 60 recently and wanted a challenge I could do with Sharon.”
You may also want to watch:
Initially just planned as a personal challenge, the pair then decided to raise sponsorship, settling on the Red Cross.
Mr Hobbs said: “Red Cross is often one of the first relief agencies on the ground as new crisis centres emerge and I hope that raising funds will in some way help those in dire need.”
- 1 Popular GP bids farewell to patients with emotional letter after 33 years in Beccles
- 2 Concerns over continued closure of Bungay bridge
- 3 Don't 'buckle to pressure': Warning as Nottingham Knockers target homes
- 4 Explained: What is causing the long queues at petrol stations?
- 5 How farm shop grew from honesty-box shed to £1.2m turnover
- 6 1960s music night to raise hospital funds
- 7 Latest coronavirus cases show another rise in East Suffolk
- 8 Chance to have your say on the next 15 years in Bungay
- 9 Charity baker set for long-awaited return this weekend
- 10 A146 closed after crash near Worlingham
And it will be a particularly special journey for Mr Hobbs, as he will be riding his late father’s bicycle.
Miss Hobbs said: “Now we’ve started training I do feel better about it. I hadn’t done a lot of cycling before.”
The pair have been training in rides around the area, with their longest ride being up to Cromer and hope to raise £1,250 with the ride.
They will leave London on May 14, taking on a pre-decided number of miles each day and staying at bed and breakfasts along the way, before spending a few days recovering in Paris and then getting the Eurostar back home.
To support Peter and Sharon, donate at www.justgiving.com/Peter-Hobbs1
Sponsorship forms are available in Cosseys Funeral Directors in Exchange Square Beccles, St Michael’s Church, Beccles, Worlingham Church and North Cove Church.
They will also be writing a blog at www.facebook.com/groups/290554177942971/