Worlingham dad and daughter duo gearing up for London to Paris cycle
- Credit: Nick Butcher
A dad and daughter team are in training for an epic cycle from London to Paris to raise money for the British Red Cross.
Peter Hobbs and his daughter Sharon, who live in Worlingham, will be tackling the challenge completely unsupported, taking all their own kit with them on their bikes.
Their week-long journey next month will take them from the London Eye to the Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris - a distance of about 240 miles.
Mr Hobbs said: “Sharon and I used to work together in the pharmacy at Beccles Health Centre and it’s something we thought we would do together.
“I turned 60 recently and wanted a challenge I could do with Sharon.”
Initially just planned as a personal challenge, the pair then decided to raise sponsorship, settling on the Red Cross.
Mr Hobbs said: “Red Cross is often one of the first relief agencies on the ground as new crisis centres emerge and I hope that raising funds will in some way help those in dire need.”
- 1 Former professional dressage rider died in four-vehicle motorcycle crash
- 2 Seven Suffolk villages that have received national recognition
- 3 Two children cause damage after throwing stones at vehicles
- 4 Beccles school appoints new headteacher
- 5 7 roadworks Suffolk drivers need to know about this week
- 6 Vandals smash lights in criminal damage at east Suffolk park
- 7 Bosses of Worlingham Hall admit failing to comply with fire safety notice
- 8 Suffolk records sunniest June in nearly 50 years
- 9 Quad bike rider in hospital with serious injuries after two-vehicle crash
- 10 All of the Suffolk streets that won the People's Postcode Lottery in June
And it will be a particularly special journey for Mr Hobbs, as he will be riding his late father’s bicycle.
Miss Hobbs said: “Now we’ve started training I do feel better about it. I hadn’t done a lot of cycling before.”
The pair have been training in rides around the area, with their longest ride being up to Cromer and hope to raise £1,250 with the ride.
They will leave London on May 14, taking on a pre-decided number of miles each day and staying at bed and breakfasts along the way, before spending a few days recovering in Paris and then getting the Eurostar back home.
To support Peter and Sharon, donate at www.justgiving.com/Peter-Hobbs1
Sponsorship forms are available in Cosseys Funeral Directors in Exchange Square Beccles, St Michael’s Church, Beccles, Worlingham Church and North Cove Church.
They will also be writing a blog at www.facebook.com/groups/290554177942971/