Yartoft meeting in Bungay
A SPECIAL meeting of the town council is to be held in Bungay to discuss the idea of a new Yartoft unitary authority for the area.There was some concern at this week's meeting that if it happened Bungay could receive less priority for its needs, but members wanted the opportunity to fully discuss an issue which could have a considerable affect on the town.
A SPECIAL meeting of the town council is to be held in Bungay to discuss the idea of a new Yartoft unitary authority for the area.
There was some concern at this week's meeting that if it happened Bungay could receive less priority for its needs, but members wanted the opportunity to fully discuss an issue which could have a considerable affect on the town.
The Yartoft option would see Waveney District Council joining with Great Yarmouth Borough Council in a new authority. Waveney leader Mark Bee, who is firmly against the idea, has asked all town and parish councils in Waveney to discuss it.
The Boundary Commission is putting forward for discussion possible changes to local government areas, and Dave O'Neill claimed it was abundantly clear that the Government was set on restructuring in Norfolk and Suffolk, with the status quo not an option.
You may also want to watch:
“We should look at what is best for Bungay…and I don't think the best option for Bungay or Waveney is Yartoft,” he said.
Deirdre Shepherd said it was far too important an issue to be considered at item 13 on the agenda and said the council should have an extraordinary general meeting to discuss it.
- 1 New Toolstation store opens in Beccles
- 2 Tyres slashed on parked cars with damage caused overnight in Beccles
- 3 School to play key role in supporting pupils' mental health across country
- 4 Transport pilot launched to help isolated communities around Bungay
- 5 Drive-in fireworks display with food village returning for 2021
- 6 Quarry restoration to take six more years after delays
- 7 Man dies in industrial incident at plastics factory
- 8 See Hunter's Moon and Orionid meteors in Suffolk skies tonight
- 9 Honda motorbike stolen in overnight theft in Bungay
- 10 Do you have rare East Anglian apples growing in your garden?
Simon Woods, one of Bungay's representatives on Waveney, said the idea was very much conjecture at present.
“It is fair to say that based on what you have heard and seen there is very deep distrust about the idea of Yartoft and how it would disadvantage market towns. Until we see what comes out of the Boundary Commission all we can do is express our deep concern about the idea of Yartoft,” he said.
Town Clerk Peter Morrow said there was no formal consultation process on the issue at present because there were no firm proposals - the council had simply been invited to comment on one particular proposal. The deadline for views in this phase of discussion was December 31.