Young violinist performs to shoppers for local charity
- Credit: James Bass
A 16-year-old violinist has been entertaining shoppers in Bungay to raise funds and awareness for the locally founded charity Elizabeth’s Legacy of Hope.
Poppy Whymark, a pupil at Bungay High School, gave up a day of her half-term break to perform at the Butter Cross at the town’s weekly market yesterday morning.
Poppy played for three hours and all of the money she collected will go straight to the charity, which provides vital support for children who have lost their limbs through war, accidents and lack of access to medical care. For only £80 a child in Sierra Leone can receive a prosthetic leg and the chance to walk.
Poppy said: “Victoria Bacon, who lives in south Norfolk, visited my school last year to tell us why and how she and her sister set up the charity. She told us about the children the charity helps and how their lives are changed with relatively modest amounts of money.
“I play the violin and enjoy sports, and I couldn’t imagine how my life would be if I was missing a limb and had no help. I thought I could play my violin and try and raise some money and awareness for the fantastic work this charity does.”
You may also want to watch:
Poppy hopes to have raised around £50 and said she was pleased with how the morning went.
She added: “All of the stallholders were listening and there were lots of people passing by. I would like to do something again but maybe when it is a bit warmer next time.”
- 1 'It's pretty awful' - Anger as cannabis waste dumped by beauty spot
- 2 Air ambulance called after man suffers medical emergency in Bungay
- 3 Norfolk man found drunk at wheel twice in less than a month
- 4 Primary school on track to achieving 'good' status according to Ofsted
- 5 'Red-and-white spray paint doesn't count' - three danger lorries stopped
- 6 Revealed - Where Suffolk's recycling waste is shipped to
- 7 Man 'let down' by GPs after undiagnosed pneumonia death, mother claims
- 8 Woman taken to hospital following crash on A146
- 9 'Human swan' to fly over Suffolk during 3,000-mile UK flight
- 10 'I can't carry it' - Shock as plant starts growing eight inches a day
For more information about the charity visit www.elizabethslegacyofhope.org