Youth band’s American ties
- Credit: Archant
The National Youth Brass Band of Great Britain takes on an American flavour
On Friday, August 8, at 7.30pm, the National Youth Brass Band of Great Britain will be playing a concert in St Michael’s Church, Beccles.
The concert will follow the band’s week long summer school which this year is at Wymondham College.
This year’s programme has a distinct American flavour as the band will be conducted by Major Michelle Rakers who is assistant director of The United States Marine Band.
Major Rakers joined the US Marine band as a trumpeter/cornet player in 1998 and has been assistant director since 2004.
You may also want to watch:
The 80 strong band of young British musicians will also be joined by cornet soloist Amy McCabe also from the US Marine Band and an acclaimed soloist.
Highlights from the programme include: Sousa - Stars and Stripes Forever; Broughton - Excursions for Cornet and Brass Band; Carnival of Venice for Cornet and Brass Band; music by Elgar Howarth who is president of the band and a Beccles resident; and other works that will show off the skill, virtuosity and versatility of this outstanding group of young musicians.
- 1 Speed checks on A144 near Halesworth just weeks after fatal crash
- 2 Don't 'buckle to pressure': Warning as Nottingham Knockers target homes
- 3 Q&A: All you need to know about fuel shortages
- 4 Key workers share 'frustrating' impact of panic-buying of fuel
- 5 How farm shop grew from honesty-box shed to £1.2m turnover
- 6 Popular GP bids farewell to patients with emotional letter after 33 years in Beccles
- 7 New book chronicles one of the most tragic rail collisions in history
- 8 Business grants of up to £25,000 on offer to Covid-hit companies
- 9 50 unmissable nights out in Suffolk
- 10 A146 closed after crash near Worlingham
“The band played in Beccles in 2012,” said Rev John Beauchamp, Rector at St Michael’s.
“They make the most glorious sound that fills the church and this year’s programme promises to be exciting and entertaining for all.
“This is a unique opportunity to hear the brass world’s stars of the future performing in the heart of rural east Anglia so get your tickets and don’t miss out!”
Tickets are £7 (£6 concessions and under 16s free).
They are available from: Edge Computer Solutions, The Walk, Beccles (opposite the church), The Parish Office, 69 Rigbourne Hill Beccles (01502 716370), or on line at www.becclesfestival.co.uk
To find out more ring the parish office or John Beauchamp on 01502 712317.
The concert is a joint promotion between St Michael’s Church and the Beccles Festival.