A boost for Beccles

Beccles 7, Romford and Gidea Park 12

RUGBY: A much-improved performance from Beccles saw them earn a bonus point from a home defeat to third- placed Romford.

Beccles travel to Rochford Hundred tomorrow for the last of their triple- header against the league’s top three teams.

This performance will have boosted their confidence and they will be looking to come away with some points.

The game against Romford played in difficult conditions, which kept the scoring low.

You may also want to watch:

In the pack Rob Wilson returned at number eight with Baksza moving to blind side. In the front row Pitts replaced Porter. Aussie import Rayner returned at full-back to replace Gedney who moved to the bench.

Beccles started the game well and put their opposition under pressure. They had a lot of territory but could not convert it into points.

Most Read

The half was nearing its conclusion with the score still at 0-0. Romford upped their game and were able to cross for the first try of the game in first half injury time.

The conversion was missed to give a half time score of 5-0.

Romford continued their purple patch at the start of the first half and had Beccles under pressure.

Beccles carried out some good defensive work led by Musker McIntyre man of the match Maeer.

In the end the pressure told and Romford added a converted try to stretch their lead.

Beccles upped their game and came back at the opposition. They camped in the opposition 22 with the forwards driving hard at the line.

After one of these drives the ball was fed out to Murray who switched with Payne who went over under the posts. Murray added the conversion.

Beccles had secured the bonus point and had a chance of victory. They pushed hard for a score.

They thought they had created an opportunity with an overlap out wide from a quickly-taken penalty but they were called back by the referee’s whistle.

Beccles II 72, Wisbech II 0.

BECCLES’ second team started their new year in the best possible fashion with a romping win over Wisbech.

Beccles started the match in a sloppy fashion, conceding several penalties and making needless errors.

Soon, however, Beccles were on the front foot, and a series of well-timed off-loads allowed Adam to score under the posts.

From this point Beccles were dominant. Rix and Searby were dominant in both the scrimmaging and line-out departments, which provided a good platform for the backs. With this, tries came from Armstrong and Long in quick succession. Beccles captain Sutton also made an impact and scored from close range.

In the second half Beccles were determined to put the game out of sight. From the off, man of the match Cooper fed Hoffman, who scored under the posts. Soon after, Cooper added a try of his own to add to the Beccles tally. The backs were thriving from the good ball provided from such forwards as Berry and Pennington, who both had good games.

Goode had a seemingly good try disallowed but soon after Long added two more tries, before Armstrong added two for himself.

A high tackle on Goode just before the line resulted in a penalty try. Sutton capped a successful match with a second score.

Goode and Hewitt were allowed to show their kicking abilities throughout the game and got four and two conversions respectively.

A well-disciplined and strong defence from Hall and Kia helped to nullify what little resistance Wisbech put up. Particular mention has to go to the Beccles players that played for Wisbech – Cooper, Read, Catchpole and King, without whom the match could not have been played.

Beccles will be pleased with this performance and will hope to take this rich vein of form into the tough games they face against Norwich Union and Norwich RFC in the coming weeks.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter