A Howell-ing success!
Halesworth's veteran swimmer Neil Howell became a triple national champion last week. The venue was the Ponds Forge, International Sports Centre in Sheffield, recognised home of British swimming.
Halesworth's veteran swimmer Neil Howell became a triple national champion last week. The venue was the Ponds Forge, International Sports Centre in Sheffield, recognised home of British swimming. The championships were held over a three-day period and are based in five-year age groups.
Howell won the national titles in the 200m, 100m and 50m breaststroke events. In addition, he collected a bronze medal in the 50m backstroke.
He was representing the Norwich-based East Anglian Swallow Tails. Over 700 competitors took part in the event with ages from 18 to 85.
These successes bring his total number of national and British titles to 10 over the past 10 years, although this is the first time Howell has won three titles at a single meet.
You may also want to watch:
Former Halesworth resident Debbie Matless competed in five events at the championships, proving herself to be one of the leading butterfly swimmers in the UK by winning bronze medals in the 200m and 100m.
In the 100m and 50m freestyle together with the 50m butterfly she achieved personal best times in all three events. Her opposition included former international competitors.
- 1 Further walk-in vaccination clinics being held across Norfolk and Waveney
- 2 Closing coastal footbridge will have 'devastating' impact, pub owner says
- 3 Can you match a nurse's daily step count?
- 4 'World’s highest qualified merchant seamen' dies aged 62
- 5 Elections 2021: Framlingham and Beccles by-election candidates published
- 6 Homelessness charity set to reopen popular shop
- 7 'Magical' Southwold holidays inspire children's author's latest book
- 8 Thieves target boats on Broads and local rivers
- 9 Police called after large fight breaks out in Beccles
- 10 Police dog tracks down driver hiding in a ditch after fleeing crash scene
Debbie is a member of the UEA City of Norwich club.