A marathon - with a difference!
Bungay Black Dog Runners' club captain John Wharton, who is standing down after 15 years, organised a unique event.A marathon with a difference was held on Sunday at the Maltings Sports Centre in Ditchingham.
Bungay Black Dog Runners' club captain John Wharton, who is standing down after 15 years, organised a unique event.
A marathon with a difference was held on Sunday at the Maltings Sports Centre in Ditchingham.
The idea was that eight dualathlon teams of three had to complete 30 miles by running and cycling.
Two runners would do a mile each followed by a cyclist doing 2.75 miles. This was repeated six times for each team member.
You may also want to watch:
Just to make it harder, five additional triathlon teams just had two members whereby they had to both run and cycle to make up the mileage.
The three fastest teams were triathlete teams. Robbie James/Bruce Rayner came home first in 2 hours 30 mins, followed by Terry Garrity/Gavin Cole in 2-41 and Karen Gedge/Lynn Emmett in 2-48:30.
- 1 McDonald's branch to close for up to three months
- 2 'Absolutely crazy' - Beer gardens bustle on first weekend open
- 3 'Lucky number seven' - Landlord opens 'flagship' pub in hometown
- 4 Is this your Range Rover? - Police seize vehicles and cash in raid
- 5 Tools stolen in spate of van break-ins
- 6 Air ambulance called after man and woman suffer medical emergencies
- 7 'No guarantee' - doctor urges HPV vaccinated women to attend screenings
- 8 Important milestone for hospital hub revamp as external works completed
- 9 Picturesque Bungay retirement home officially Grade II listed
- 10 Family attractions back for big weekend after months of shutdown
The fastest dualthon teams were Richard Dye/Nigel Edge/Sally Nicholls in 2-53, Ian Ash/Neil Thomas/Helen Hornsey in 2-58 and Joe Hornsey/David Lines and Katy James in 2-59:14.
Other team results in time order were: Roland Shaw/Sue Potter 2-48:41, Darrell Oldman/Stephanie Whyte 2-57, Chris Chorley/Karen Waters 2-57:40, Mark Lowther/Sue Lowther/Hazel Garrity 2-59:29, Christine Muttitt/Janice Wharton/Ian Taylor 3-01, Bobbie Sauerzapf/Carol Maycocks/Judy Potter/Doug Gladwin 3-07, Bob Jack/Natalie Whyte/Colin Whale 3-11:02 and Paul Seary/John Wharton and Bob Paul in 3-11:22.
The marshalls did a great job organising
the competitors and ensuring their safety on the roads.
The previous Sunday, June 13, saw Wymondham AC hold their midsummer 10 mile race with three Bungay Black Dogs attending.
In previous years the race has been held at nearby Hethel.
The new location, starting from Wymondham town centre, seemed to have been off-putting to runners as the field was only 110 strong.
However, most regional running clubs had sent representatives and there was a strong field with seven runners finishing within the hour.
The stronger Black Dog, Chris Chorley, sailed home in 1-09:52. After a mid-race battle David Gilbert just slipped in ahead of Bobbie Sauerzapf with times of 1-19:46 and 1-22:47 respectively.