A stroll for five-goal Beccles Town
- Credit: Richard Calver
Beccles 5 Hempnall 1
Beccles took on a much-improved Hempnall in Division One of the Anglian Combination and produced a solid display to gain all three points.
As has been the case in most games this season, Town were forced to make changes from the team who won last week.
Therefore, Beccles lined up with Cable, Booker, Udell, Bailey, Mutimer, Remblance, Heaney, Milton, Harvey-Cooper, Clark and Clarke.
Beccles kicked off into a very strong wind and took control of the game with some neat passing between defence and midfield. Within the first minute they took the lead when a cross from the left was met by Harvey-Cooper who bundled the ball past the keeper.
You may also want to watch:
Beccles created a further two chances for Clark and Harvey-Cooper but both shot just wide.
Soon after Beccles conceded a penalty following a rash challenge by Mutimer which was millimetres inside the area. The midfielder stepped up for the spot kick but Cable made a good save to ensure the score at half-time remained at 1-0.
- 1 No need to wait for booster invitation - clarification after Covid jab confusion
- 2 Christmas in doubt as toy shop boss 'struggling with stock'
- 3 Youngsters prepare to take to the stage for debut performance
- 4 Farm shop owners 'absolutely thrilled' at national award
- 5 Drive-in fireworks display with food village returning for 2021
- 6 New Toolstation store opens in Beccles
- 7 Tyres slashed on parked cars with damage caused overnight in Beccles
- 8 Waveney schools to bring in additional measures to fight Covid rise
- 9 Man dies in industrial incident at plastics factory
- 10 Man on walking tour of UK's coastline 'met with so much love' in Suffolk
The second half started the same as the first with Beccles enjoying most of the possession and creating good chances.
On 55 minutes Beccles extended their lead. Remblance was fouled in full flight 25 yards from goal and Harvey-Cooper stepped up to curl a beautiful effort into the top corner.
Soon after Beccles extended their lead as the spirited Hempnall defence began to tire. This time excellent work down the right and a cute square ball by Clarke allowed Clark the easiest of tap-ins from six yards.
Heaney then got himself on the scoresheet. Remblance advanced down the right and his pin-point cross was met by the midfielder who powered a header past the keeper.
Moments after scoring Beccles conceded a sloppy goal whereby a striker ghosted in at the back post and finished past Cable.
Harvey-Cooper then had a chance to complete his hat-trick but his curling effort went just wide. But he was not to be denied on 80 minutes, when from a Hurren corner he jumped highest to glance his header into the corner and wrap up both his hat-trick and the three points with a 5-1 scoreline.