Ace finals day at Beccles
BECCLES Tennis Club held its finals day on Sunday in glorious weather. Two of the doubles finals were very close affairs. In the mixed Darren Poppy and Ann Calver just had the edge over Justin Howlett and Francoise Price, winning 6-4, 6-4.
BECCLES Tennis Club held its finals day on Sunday in glorious weather.
Two of the doubles finals were very close affairs. In the mixed Darren Poppy and Ann Calver just had the edge over Justin Howlett and Francoise Price, winning 6-4, 6-4.
The men's doubles was even tighter, with Ray Tester and Philip Tye squeezing home in a three-setter against Justin Howlett and Ray Finch, 4-6, 7-6, 6-4, after saving a match point in the second set.
The ladies' doubles was won convincingly by Anne Green and Sharon Carter over Judy Hall and Tricia Nejranowski.
You may also want to watch:
The men's singles had to be postponed because of an off-court injury to Conor McQuistin, who was due to meet his younger brother Owain.
Conor is to be congratulated on winning 16/under singles at the recent Lowestoft tournament, also winning the doubles with Owain. David Drake, having coaching in the new Friday sessions at Beccles, won the new nine/under competition.
- 1 Man seen waving axe on horseback is jailed
- 2 Four men arrested after teenager robbed
- 3 Land transformed with power company's pond restoration
- 4 Woman in 20s suffers serious leg injuries in late night crash
- 5 Restaurant hosting drinkers at Covid peak may have ‘risked public’s health’
- 6 Travellers set up 'unauthorised' camp near to popular park in Oulton Broad
- 7 'Disappointment' for town centre with McDonald's branch closure
- 8 Roof collapses at derelict chicken shed after fire
- 9 McDonald's branch to close for up to three months
- 10 Mattresses among items dumped in East Suffolk countryside
Club person of the year trophy went to Ray Finch for all his work in upgrading the facilities in the clubhouse and surrounds.
In the Summer League, Beccles A will finish fourth or fifth in Division One, Beccles B were runners-up in Division Two, the C team were fourth in the third division but Beccles D were relegated.
The fixtures for the Norwich Winter League will soon be available, so those interested please watch out for notices/practices for this.