Ace news at Beccles Golf Club
Saturday at Beccles Golf Club was a busy morning with three events taking place and two memorable shots being witnessed.First off was the final of the club doubles between Bryan Debenham and Willie White playing against Brian and Christian Lever.
Saturday at Beccles Golf Club was a busy morning with three events taking place and two memorable shots being witnessed.
First off was the final of the club doubles between Bryan Debenham and Willie White playing against Brian and Christian Lever.
This was a very close match throughout with the teams still all square playing the 18th. Bryan Debenham then thinned his wedge to the final green and it had disaster written all over it as it was heading out of bounds until it struck a post behing the green and stayed on the putting surface for them to putt out, win the hole and the match.
Following the doubles were the two finalists in the singles event, Nigel Edwards playing Niall Gill.
Niall began with a birdie to win the first hole but encouraged by his invaluable caddy, brother Simon, Nigel reached the turn one up and continued good form to win 4 and 3.
The rest of the members then teed off in a nine-hole competition and with his first shot of the day, Tony Brett hit his first ever hole-in-one at the opening hole, much to his delight.
- 1 Challenging future for high streets amid fall in shoppers
- 2 Care home's failings continue after damning report reveals abuse fears
- 3 'Bus week' scheme to protect 'lifeline' route in town
- 4 Beccles mother publishes new children's book
- 5 Holiday business owner fined over £5k after 'excessive waste' found at site
- 6 Five-bedroom country house with 'secret garden' on sale for £1.25m
- 7 Motorcyclist injured after crash in busy Suffolk road
- 8 New minister appointed for Beccles Salvation Army
- 9 Camera club showcases best of town's efforts
- 10 Latest 'festival-style' market to take place next month
Mike Garrood won the nine-hole competition with David Wells second and Bob Janney third.
On Sunday, the Caxton Club Cup was contested by a large field chasing lots of prizes. The winner was Rod Green with 44 points, who retained the cup for the second year running.
A full report and picture will be in the Journal at a later date.
An 18-hole competition will tee off at Beccles GC at 8am tomorrow (Saturday).
Pictured, above left, is singles champion Nigel Edwards (right) with Willie White.
Above, doubles winners (from left): Willie White, club secretary Alan Ereira and Bryan Debenham.