Athletes represent their country in big international aquathlon event in Slovakia
- Credit: Archant
Three Beccles and Bungay friends have represented Great Britain on the European stage.
The local athletes competed at the European Aquathlon Championships in Bratislava, Slovakia.
Marcus Nichols (Bungay Black Dog Running Club/Beccles Triathlon Club) alongside Beccles Triathlon Club’s Suzy Knights and Vicki Grice gained selection to the Great Britain Age Group Team for an event which comprised a 1km swim followed by a 5km run of multiple loops, during which temperatures soared to 27 degrees.
Marcus, who has represented Great Britain in two previous championships in 2015 and 2016, was first of the three home in a time 39 minutes and 36 seconds, placing him 15th in his age group, followed by Vicki (40.13) and Suzy (49.17) who were 7th and 12th in their respective age groups. Both women were making their debuts.
At home Bungay Black Dog Running Club held the first of its series of three summer 10k races. Conditions were excellent for a race won by Rob Chenery. The Bungay Club’s Dan Gardiner was the first M50 home, Jo Andrews the first lady overall and Hazel Garrity the first F55.
You may also want to watch:
Entries are now open via the club’s website for the second and third races in the series on June 28 and July 26.
At Thetford Forest, Jody Donaldson and Andrew Manning paired up to run the Monster Ambit 24hr race consisting of as many laps as possible of an 11k looped course in the time available. They managed 16 and finished as the second overall pair.
- 1 Woman in her 20s among 31 Covid patients to die in five days at hospital
- 2 Restaurant fined for refusing to close in third lockdown
- 3 Police investigate Southwold sign swearing at visitors to stay away
- 4 'We're very anxious at the moment': Co-Op staff on public abuse
- 5 'A momentous occasion': Pharmacies to start Covid vaccinations in Suffolk
- 6 Roundabout memorial bid for the 'Ole Chicken Man of Bungay'
- 7 Timeline: When should you receive the coronavirus vaccine?
- 8 Nine Norfolk flood alerts ahead of Storm Christoph
- 9 Voyeur watched people after setting up secret cameras in bathroom
- 10 People in 'next priority' groups to receive covid jabs in coastal town
In the Stowmarket Friday 5k over five tough miles of country lanes from Buxhall, the Bungay results among 452 finishers were: 121 Chris Chorley 35.17, 317 Bobbie Sauerzapf 43.18.
The Sutton Beast 10km from Sutton in the Isle (near Ely) was another scorching event. The 211 finishers included 17 Chris Chorley 45.40, 43 Simon Sparkes 50.39, 81 Bobbie Sauerzapf 54.46, and 128 Sarah Sparkes 62.02.
Paul Bird together with Rosemarie and Michael Ball participated in the Thames (Harry) Potter six hour challenge. They all completed marathon distance on a hot day (Rosemarie 5:30:33, Paul 6:05:35,Michael 6:12:15).
After a short break the three proceeded to the Black Phoenix challenge with Rosemarie adding a further 22.96 miles and Paul and Michael an additional 13.12 miles to their earlier marathon totals.