Baffling loss for Beccles

Enfield Ignatian 14, Beccles 10

Beccles will be spending much of this week questioning how they failed to win a game which the dominated from the off and Enfield will recognise that on this occasion the best team lost.

The tone of the game was set within the first few minutes when the Beccles pack drove the ball deep into the home side’s 22. When the drive was brought to a halt for a questionable and minor infringement, the referee immediately turned this into a penalty for questioning the decision. This allowed Enfield to clear their lines and was to be the story of the game.

Enfield were first on the score-sheet after some good driving play into the Beccles half resulted in a penalty. This was converted and was soon followed by another to give the home side a six-point lead.

Beccles’ forward pack once more drove play into the opposition half and following some good phases of play from Ling, Lake and Porter the ball was spun wide to young full-back Rayner who rounded his man before passing to Davey-Durak on the wing. From 15 yards out the young winger then used his power to run through his opposite number before touching down in the corner. Wade stepped up and slotted the extra points from out wide.

Beccles continued to use their dominance in the set piece and from the platform pounded the opposition through Paul Wilson and Rix. Time and time again this took play into the opposition 22 but the speed of the referee’s whistle and Beccles’ failure to respond continued to allow Enfield to relieve the pressure.

The second half started with Enfield slotting a penalty to take a two-point lead. Enfield began to take the game to Beccles and following a phase of pressure in the Beccles 22 the ball was kicked clear to the halfway line. Beccles’ failure to follow this allowed the Enfield backs to move the ball wide and touch down for a try on the corner.

Most Read

From a clearance deep into the Beccles half Musker McIntyre man of the match Rayner danced his way through half the Enfield team to five yards from the opposition line, but the support runners were unable to secure the final pass.

With time running out Wade converted a penalty to bring Beccles within four points. After a couple of passages of play Rayner once more cut through the line and off loaded to Davey-Durak who powered his way to within yards of the Enfield line. The Beccles scrum drove their way over the line. With Beccles ready to touch down and seal the win the Enfield winger came off-side and stole the ball out of sight of the referee.

Despite the last minute efforts by Beccles the final whistle was blown to the immense relief of the home side.