Battles on the water
A HIGH tide and a chilly north-westerly set ideal conditions for Beccles Amateur Sailing Club's racing.There was a good beat down river on the Waveney last Saturday at Beccles and after two great starts, Rory Kelsey and Georgie Roll in their Norfolk deserved their double in the Winter Tankard after winning both on handicap.
A HIGH tide and a chilly north-westerly set ideal conditions for Beccles Amateur Sailing Club's racing.
There was a good beat down river on the Waveney last Saturday at Beccles and after two great starts, Rory Kelsey and Georgie Roll in their Norfolk deserved their double in the Winter Tankard after winning both on handicap.
In race one, Kevin and Jo Edwards in their Enterprise did well with a second place following a return to the start due to being over on the horn but the “Windsmith” still managed to slip through the fleet to lead after half a lap and cross the line ahead of the pack after Jon Blankley in “Tardis” retired with outhaul problems.
Barry Langston and Stuart Halliday also got the Silver Streak going well this week and fully deserved their third place.
You may also want to watch:
Race two saw Jon Blankley back on the water and crossing the line ahead of team Edwards in Sharkie although had to settle for third on handicap.
In the Tann Trophy, the BASC Topper helms are always fiercely competitive and this week was no exception.
- 1 'Small number' of staff at town's Tesco test positive for Covid-19
- 2 Police concerned for welfare of missing 14-year-old girl
- 3 'Everyone knew' Suffolk journalist David Lennard in the towns he covered during long career
- 4 Former pub and restaurant could become six-bed home
- 5 Hazardous materials scare as 'suspicious package' found at delivery centre
- 6 Latitude boss 'super confident' about 2021 events going ahead
- 7 Tributes to 'much loved' council worker as dustcart leads funeral cortège
- 8 Man suffers potentially life-threatening injuries in A145 collision
- 9 Son's concern as Covid hospital patient, 85, moved seven times in two weeks
- 10 Waits for second Covid jabs on target in our region
Race one saw Hugh Braidwood in front from the off but was constantly shadowed by Harry Shipley who made his move on the second round to go ahead which he just managed to hold onto as a lift took him over the line first.
In race two Hugh again got away, this time with Milo Phillips in close pursuit but after one round, Milo overtook to take his first win this series, leaving Hugh with another second place.
The optimist series D title continues to be wide open after Rowan Curtis managed two wins after another battle with Casper Baylis on the water and only two points separate them as the club goes into the penultimate week of the series D schedule this Saturday.
Results - Winter Tankard Race One (13): 1 Tankard (R Kelsey and G Roll), 2 Sharkie (K and J Edwards), 3 Sooper Muff (B Langston and S Halliday).
Winter Tankard Race Two (11): 1 Tankard, 2 Sharkie, 3 Tardis (J Blankley).
Tann Trophy Race One (7): 1 Just Harry 2 (H Shipley), 2 Tic Tac (H Braidwood), 3 Charlie (C Folkard).
Tann Trophy Race Two (8): 1 Windsinger (M Phillips), 2 Tic Tac, 3 Tip Top (J Smalls).
Oppie II Junior Race One (5): 1 Bittern (R Curtis), 2 Petite Rouge (C Baylis), 3 Rachael (R Folkard).
Oppie II Junior Race Two (5): 1 Bittern, 2 Petite Rouge, 3 Oppy 5 (M Rusted).