Beccles 25 Lowestoft & Yarmouth 24 – Late try wins derby clash
- Credit: Archant
Beccles stole victory with the last play of the game in an enthralling Eastern Counties 3NE derby encounter at Beef Meadow.
Beccles started the game poorly, with several unforced handling errors giving the visitors the initiative in the scrum. L&Y drew first blood when a well worked driven maul forced it’s way over the Beccles try-line.
L&Y scored again soon after when the ball was kicked behind the Bulls defence and their winger won the footrace to score again in the corner.
Wade brought the score closer with two penalties before new overseas player Stuart Adam scored on his home debut with a well worked try in the corner.
The second half was an evenly contested affair with both sides competing hard at the breakdown and the scrum.
You may also want to watch:
L&Y slotted two penalties before Harrisson ran a fine line off Tieuti to score under the posts.
With the game coming to a close and Beccles trailing by six, the home side were camped in the L&Y 22.
- 1 BMW overturns in ditch after coming off A146
- 2 'I'm just gobsmacked': east Suffolk pub receives £96,000 grant in Budget
- 3 Global innovation award for farm that harnesses energy from cow muck
- 4 Bungay Wave set to ripple through town in support of flooding victims
- 5 Fire crews called to rural spot after horse found in ditch
- 6 Plans for investment and upgraded facilities at Beccles Quay
- 7 Backlash against raw sewage vote as local hotspots revealed
- 8 Laptop stolen from parked car in Beccles
- 9 Who can get a Covid booster jab and how can I book one?
- 10 Could we face coronavirus restrictions over Christmas?
Sustained pressure caused the visitors to concede numerous penalties and they were swiftly reduced to 13 men.
Then, In the last play, Tieuti showed great awareness for Beccles to take a quick tap penalty and crash over the line. Wade stayed cool to slot the necessary conversion to secure a memorable victory.