Beccles 25 Lowestoft & Yarmouth 24 – Late try wins derby clash
- Credit: Archant
Beccles stole victory with the last play of the game in an enthralling Eastern Counties 3NE derby encounter at Beef Meadow.
Beccles started the game poorly, with several unforced handling errors giving the visitors the initiative in the scrum. L&Y drew first blood when a well worked driven maul forced it’s way over the Beccles try-line.
L&Y scored again soon after when the ball was kicked behind the Bulls defence and their winger won the footrace to score again in the corner.
Wade brought the score closer with two penalties before new overseas player Stuart Adam scored on his home debut with a well worked try in the corner.
The second half was an evenly contested affair with both sides competing hard at the breakdown and the scrum.
L&Y slotted two penalties before Harrisson ran a fine line off Tieuti to score under the posts.
With the game coming to a close and Beccles trailing by six, the home side were camped in the L&Y 22.
- 1 City burger joint takes beef off the menu
- 2 'Incredible turnout' as protesters demand River Waveney clean up
- 3 Traffic to be diverted with road temporarily closed for repair works
- 4 Fishing equipment stolen after thieves smash car window
- 5 'I keep selling out' - Mum-of-two dreams of fudge shop as business thrives
- 6 Queen's Jubilee celebration events aplenty to enjoy in Waveney
- 7 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 8 5 of the best brewery tours in Suffolk
- 9 Heaven & Hell: David Whiteley and Amelia Reynolds
- 10 Memorial garden unveiled as centre's open day is a success
Sustained pressure caused the visitors to concede numerous penalties and they were swiftly reduced to 13 men.
Then, In the last play, Tieuti showed great awareness for Beccles to take a quick tap penalty and crash over the line. Wade stayed cool to slot the necessary conversion to secure a memorable victory.