Beccles a rugby force to reckon with

Lowestoft & Yarmouth 5, Beccles 37BECCLES destroyed Lowestoft and Yarmouth's two-and-a-half year unbeaten home record with a crushing away win on Saturday.

Lowestoft & Yarmouth 5, Beccles 37

BECCLES destroyed Lowestoft and Yarmouth's two-and-a-half year unbeaten home record with a crushing away win on Saturday. It means Beccles go into the new year at the top of their table.

Beccles were backed up by an army of travelling supporters, and their loud backing helped cheer the side on to victory.

Rix made his first appearance of the season in the back row. In the backs Arnold moved to fly-half, Payne moved to centre and Wade moved out to the wing.

From the kick-off some good tackling by Rob Wilson won a penalty in front of the posts which Wade slotted over with ease.

Beccles were up against a big pack but the front row of Lake, Ling and Rob Wilson were working hard to make sure Beccles won most of their own ball.

Most Read

Beccles got their first try soon after this from a turnover in midfield. The ball found its way to Wade who went over untouched. He converted his own try to extend the lead.

Beccles broke out of their own 22 to score the second try.

Geyser and Maeer linked well at the back of the scrum to put Rowney in the clear out wide. He linked with Williamson, who sprinted clear to score the try. Wade added the conversion.

Beccles scrum half Sale was injured towards the end of the first half. While he was being treated Lowestoft put together a good backs move to go over for a try. This gave a half-time score of 17-5 to Beccles.

Early in the second half Beccles were reduced to 14 men when Rob Wilson was sent to the sin bin for persistent infringement.

Lowestoft sniffed a chance but Beccles soon took the initiative with another score.

A kick through was well chased by Arnold. When he forced the fullback to pass inside, Williamson inter-cepted to score his second try. Wade missed a difficult conversion.

Lowestoft tried to take it to Beccles through their big forwards but the visitors coped with this well.

Paul Wilson and Johnstone put in some big tackles around the fringes and Payne tackled well when the ball went out to the backs.

Musker McIntyre man-of-the-match Rix was making a nuisance of himself all over the pitch.

Beccles made some changes with Tipple coming on for Maeer and Hoffman replacing Sale, who had battled on bravely with his ankle injury. Both substitutes made important tackles when they came on.

As the Lowestoft challenge petered out Beccles extended their lead.

From a scrum on the Lowestoft five Geyser broke off the back and sucked in the defence. He then fed Rowney who finished off the try. Wade missed the conversion but extended the lead with a penalty.

Beccles capped off the game with another try.

A good crossfield kick by Wade was collected by Rowney. He fed inside to Murray who picked up well to score. Wade added the conversion to seal the game by 37-5.

This has been a good 2009 for Beccles. With six of their 10 remaining games at home they know they are in with a good chance of promotion and the league title.

They will have to work hard to achieve their aims but they are confident they have the ability.

The next game is at home to Dagenham on January 9.