Beccles and Bungay Harriers do well in first event
- Credit: Submitted
A team of hardy runners ran for Beccles and Bungay Harriers in the first Suffolk Winter League cross-country at Framlingham on Sunday.
It was the first of a county series of cross-country races which are famous for extremes of water and mud. Six juniors and five seniors took part with considerable success.
Lucy Emmett led the junior girls’ team home (11-16 years) over the 1.5 miles course and came in 30th with a time of 10:07mins. For the adults, Benn Walker was the first senior runner home in the 4.5-mile course and had his highest position of 30th with a time of 31:02.
Lynn Emmett was the Harriers’ first adult female home and came in 85th overall but first in the 45+ age group. Also well done to Judy Potter who came in second in the 65+ age group.
The weather was eventually good after a misty start. There were a total of 332 starters in the senior race and just under 100 in the juniors with 40+ in the under-11s.
You may also want to watch:
It was particularly pleasing to see Brooke Oran and Enya Calver-Brown competing in it for the first time. The junior girls A and B teams are fourth and 12th respectively out of 22 teams which is a good achievement so far.
Juniors: 30 Lucy Emmett 10:07, 48 Grace Forster 10:45, 53 Brooke Oram 10:52, 60 Cara Howe 11:05, 85 Holly Walker 12:14, 96 Enya Calver-Brown 13:00.
- 1 Man suffers potentially life-threatening injuries in A145 collision
- 2 Police concerned for welfare of missing 14-year-old girl
- 3 Hazardous materials scare as 'suspicious package' found at delivery centre
- 4 'Small number' of staff at town's Tesco test positive for Covid-19
- 5 Renowned 'craft brewery' snapped up by trio of beer lovers
- 6 'Everyone knew' Suffolk journalist David Lennard in the towns he covered during long career
- 7 Waits for second Covid jabs on target in our region
- 8 Former pub and restaurant could become six-bed home
- 9 'No people, no money': Alpaca farmer tells of latest struggles
- 10 Tributes to much-loved Laura, 28, after Covid death
Adults: 30 Benn Walker 31:02, 85 Lynn Emmett 33:40, 109 Lauren Howe 34:43, 298 Judy Potter 48:28, DNF Becky White (15:44) one lap.
On Saturday four Beccles & Bungay Harriers (U11s) took part in the second Norfolk Athletics Sportshall competition at Taverham High School near Norwich.
All enjoyed the competition and the girls came a creditable fourth place behind three strong Norwich teams.