Beccles and Bungay Harriers do well in first event
- Credit: Submitted
A team of hardy runners ran for Beccles and Bungay Harriers in the first Suffolk Winter League cross-country at Framlingham on Sunday.
It was the first of a county series of cross-country races which are famous for extremes of water and mud. Six juniors and five seniors took part with considerable success.
Lucy Emmett led the junior girls’ team home (11-16 years) over the 1.5 miles course and came in 30th with a time of 10:07mins. For the adults, Benn Walker was the first senior runner home in the 4.5-mile course and had his highest position of 30th with a time of 31:02.
Lynn Emmett was the Harriers’ first adult female home and came in 85th overall but first in the 45+ age group. Also well done to Judy Potter who came in second in the 65+ age group.
The weather was eventually good after a misty start. There were a total of 332 starters in the senior race and just under 100 in the juniors with 40+ in the under-11s.
You may also want to watch:
It was particularly pleasing to see Brooke Oran and Enya Calver-Brown competing in it for the first time. The junior girls A and B teams are fourth and 12th respectively out of 22 teams which is a good achievement so far.
Juniors: 30 Lucy Emmett 10:07, 48 Grace Forster 10:45, 53 Brooke Oram 10:52, 60 Cara Howe 11:05, 85 Holly Walker 12:14, 96 Enya Calver-Brown 13:00.
- 1 New Toolstation store opens in Beccles
- 2 Tyres slashed on parked cars with damage caused overnight in Beccles
- 3 Transport pilot launched to help isolated communities around Bungay
- 4 School to play key role in supporting pupils' mental health across country
- 5 Quarry restoration to take six more years after delays
- 6 Drive-in fireworks display with food village returning for 2021
- 7 Man dies in industrial incident at plastics factory
- 8 See Hunter's Moon and Orionid meteors in Suffolk skies tonight
- 9 Honda motorbike stolen in overnight theft in Bungay
- 10 Do you have rare East Anglian apples growing in your garden?
Adults: 30 Benn Walker 31:02, 85 Lynn Emmett 33:40, 109 Lauren Howe 34:43, 298 Judy Potter 48:28, DNF Becky White (15:44) one lap.
On Saturday four Beccles & Bungay Harriers (U11s) took part in the second Norfolk Athletics Sportshall competition at Taverham High School near Norwich.
All enjoyed the competition and the girls came a creditable fourth place behind three strong Norwich teams.