Beccles battle back to draw
BECCLES came back twice from behind through Ali Foreman in this thrilling match against Norwich City III in the Martin and Acock League to draw 2-2.This was a rearranged fixture, following the postponed back in January due to bad weather.
Beccles 2, Norwich City III 2
BECCLES came back twice from behind through Ali Foreman in this thrilling match in the Martin and Acock League.
City fielded a mixture of II, III and IV team players, but this combination did not distort their game as they still gelled well despite not playing regularly in the same team.
Norwich City started the stronger, and had gone 1-0 ahead before Beccles had a chance to get into the game. At a penalty corner, Beccles allowed the receiver room to see the goal, and she powered the ball home from just inside the D after just five minutes.
Beccles equalised through Foreman who received the ball just outside the D, skilfully manoeuvred her way through her opponents and scooped the ball into the goal.
Foreman continued her fine display of hockey, consistently breaking down attacks, intercepting the ball and creating chances for her team-mates.
- 1 'A very special place' - New mayor privileged to serve town
- 2 'We've had parents in tears' - The church fighting school uniform poverty
- 3 Vandals damage fence and gate in night-time incident
- 4 Call to back campaign to win £20,000 of primary school sports gear
- 5 Town's walk and talk scheme helps locals connect to the community
- 6 New hair salon opens up with its very own puppy on the premises
- 7 Hospital opens £1.2m eye operation theatre to cut waiting times
- 8 Data reveals 'inadequate' Suffolk schools starting again as academies
- 9 Beer from Lidl and vegan chocolates among items recalled over safety fears
- 10 Snap survey - Patients ignored health conditions after GP waits
Beccles were put under pressure by this young side, especially two forwards who ran at pace at the defence. However, Beccles managed to stave them off and the score remained 1-1 at the break.
Norwich City came out strongly in the second half and went ahead again after just six minutes when the umpire played advantage.
Beccles desperately tried to level the score and there was plenty of end-to-end play, with both teams fighting hard for possession.
City had more of the play with their faster pace and accurate passing, but it was Beccles' sheer determination that won them the equaliser just two minutes from time. After consecutive penalty corners, they came through on the fourth attempt when Annette Freeman's shot was scooped in by Foreman. Before the final whistle Foreman shot wide.
This week Beccles have a friendly game at Taverham (4pm start).