Beccles battle well to earn all three points
Beccles Ladies 3, Thetford 0
HOCKEY: With Theford only managing to field nine players and Beccles having to play without a keeper for the first 15 minutes, this was still a very exciting game with plenty of action from both sides.
Beccles welcomed back Sharon Wenham after a long absence and her contribution was invaluable, including stopping a goal.
Although Beccles went ahead with less than three minutes of play, this was the only goal of the first half.
It was Heather Brand who gave Beccles the lead, following a shot right on the edge of the D. Throughout the whole game she was instrumental in dominating the midfield with her perseverance and determination. Beccles also welcomed Joanna Beale, who made her debut for the team and did an excellent job.
You may also want to watch:
Both teams played some very good team hockey and had several scoring opportunities but neither could capitalise.
With plenty of end-to-end play and accurate passing from both teams, Thetford held firm and defended very well making it extremely difficult to get through.
- 1 BMW overturns in ditch after coming off A146
- 2 Plans for investment and upgraded facilities at Beccles Quay
- 3 Global innovation award for farm that harnesses energy from cow muck
- 4 Backlash against raw sewage vote as local hotspots revealed
- 5 Fire crews called to rural spot after horse found in ditch
- 6 'I'm just gobsmacked': east Suffolk pub receives £96,000 grant in Budget
- 7 Bungay Wave set to ripple through town in support of flooding victims
- 8 Man arrested on suspicion of drink and drug driving after fatal crash
- 9 Who can get a Covid booster jab and how can I book one?
- 10 Laptop stolen from parked car in Beccles
Nine minutes into the second half, and following plenty of action in the D, Laura Ashworth managed to find the small space and give Beccles a 2-0 lead.
Thetford had their chances to score both in open play and from penalty corners and at times put great pressure on the defence, with Lorraine Greenwood having to make a couple of crucial saves.
Beccles had a string of penalty corners but again found the Thetford defence impenetrable.
However near the end, Max Gibbs took a strong free hit which Debbie Mann, positioned on top of the D, deflected past the defenders and the ball went through the keeper’s legs to make it 3-0.
Beccles were pleased to take all three points from this game, which Theford made very hard for them to do despite being two players down.
This week Beccles are away to Broadland I.