Beccles beaten for the first time
- Credit: Archant
Beccles lost their perfect record in Division Two of the Norfolk Alliance on Saturday when they were beaten at Topcroft by 13 runs.
The hosts were put into bat on a pitch that was very much a bowler’s dream after the overnight rain.
Openers Ben Baldwin (9) and Greg Rostron (0) struggled with the unpredictable wicket but skipper Harry Windridge and Jacob Rhodes settled the nerves.
Windridge went on to notch 107 not out in a well-constructed innings with Rhodes contributing a well paced 33 before getting caught trying to up the rate, Ian Todd came in with some big hitting to add 34 not out to the total as the innings ended on 196-3.
With the wicket drying off in the heat of the day, Topcroft knew it was going to be better to bat on and so needed to start well.
An early run out from Baldwin to account for Michael Fisher and a snick off from Ian Todd to remove Rob Porter saw the Beccles openers back in the pavilion with just one run between them.
David Todd then managed to get Chris Robson (12) to work the ball to son Ian at long on.
- 1 7 roadworks Suffolk drivers need to know about this week
- 2 7 of the prettiest cafes in Suffolk
- 3 Former professional dressage rider died in four-vehicle motorcycle crash
- 4 Two children cause damage after throwing stones at vehicles
- 5 Beccles school appoints new headteacher
- 6 Vandals smash lights in criminal damage at east Suffolk park
- 7 Seven Suffolk villages that have received national recognition
- 8 Bosses of Worlingham Hall admit failing to comply with fire safety notice
- 9 All of the Suffolk streets that won the People's Postcode Lottery in June
- 10 Theatre group set for tour of outdoor venues with latest performances
However, Alex Wright was hitting the ball well and had made 59 when he was caught on the boundary by Baldwin of Martin Talbot.
With limited runs to play with, Talbot (3-22) bowled a tight inswinging line to claim two more victims, with Rostron hitting the top of off stump and getting an edge while Ian Todd claimed the last wicket by removing Nick Smith’s leg stump.
Skipper David George made 34 for Beccles, Cameron Robson 31 and Ian Ruddock a brave unbeaten 13 at the death but it wasn’t quite enough as the end came in the 43rd over.
Beccles, who remain top just one point above the side that beat them, are at home to Brooke A tomorrow (1pm) while Topcroft visit Downham A.