Beccles blunt Blofield’s bid

Beccles Town 1, Blofield United 1

BECCLES had the perfect pick me up after the previous week’s terrible home defeat against Spixworth.

It was a chance to put a spoke in the wheel to stop Blofield gaining points on Cromer at the top, also to regain some self respect after the previous week’s inept performance.

Beccles were with out Alan Remblance and James Fenn and so recalled Bensley and Wigley to the starting line up.

With England playing at the same time a small crowd was expected but as kick off approached it became clear that people had swapped a comfy armchair for the real thing and a healthy travelling support from Blofield added to the atmosphere.

Indeed as the opening period unfolded it was hard to pick which side was contending for the title and which were not. Beccles more then matched the visitors and although clear cut chances were at a premium, the game was largely being acted out in midfield.

In fact it was quite a surprise when the visitors broke the deadlock a header from Lee Skoyles drifted in at the far post much to the surprise of the home faithful. Beccles tried in vain to peg back the visitors but half-time heralded a 1-0 score line.

Most Read

The second half started brightly for Beccles and Ant Martin was causing the opposition many problems with his dominance in the air, but Bensley could not capitalise on his knock downs.

The Beccles defence of Alex Greengrass, Marty Myhill, Tom Roberts and particularly Neil Mcmorran were having a fine game.

They restricted Blofield to long range efforts and on the odd occasion they did break through Danny Cable in the home goal was more then equal to their efforts.

With the game in its last quarter it looked as if Beccles would get no reward for a much improved performance and then following a disputed free kick on the right taken by Kevin Waterman, it seemed only fitting that Neil Mcmorran, the game’s outstanding player should steal in at the back post and head in a much deserved equaliser.

Still time for the visitors in the last 10 minutes to strike the bar twice as they set out to win the game.

However Beccles had the chance to win it right at the death when Bensley intercepted the keeper and rolled his effort wide of the post.

Tomorrow Beccles first team have no game but the reserves are at home to Marlingford 2.30pm kick off at College Meadow.