Beccles boy Chris Martin could face world champions Germany
- Credit: PA Wire/Press Association Images
Beccles-born footballer Chris Martin could face world champions Germany next month after again being called into the Scotland squad.
The Derby County striker scored twice on Saturday as the Rams dismantled Fulham 5-1 in their Championship clash at the iPro Stadium.
Those were the first league goals of the season for the 25-year-old former Norwich City striker, adding to his one goal in the 2-0 win against Carlisle United in the first round of the Capital One Cup.
Martin, who qualifies for Scotland through his father, was handed his international debut by Gordon Strachan in a 2-2 friendly draw with Nigeria at Craven Cottage in May.
He has again been included for the first match of Scotland’s Euro 2016 qualifying campaign, against Germany at Borussia Dortmund’s Signal Iduna Park on Sunday, September 7.
You may also want to watch:
Norwich City defenders Russell Martin and Steven Whittaker are also included in the 26-man squad.
Martin’s two goals against Fulham made up for a shocking miss in front of an empty net earlier in the game, as he tries to build on an excellent personal campaign during the 2013/14 season. The skilful frontman scored 25 goals in 52 appearances as Steve McClaren’s side were beaten 1-0 in the Championship play-off final by QPR at Wembley.
- 1 Life sentence for convicted rapist who attempted to murder Norfolk woman
- 2 Man dies in industrial incident at plastics factory
- 3 The community hub bringing the heart of Beccles together
- 4 Toolstation opens new store in Beccles
- 5 Free October half term events around Beccles and Bungay
- 6 Five Halloween events planned in Waveney this year
- 7 MP still hopes to host surgeries in person after colleague killed
- 8 An A to Z of East Anglian cider
- 9 Woman's body found at Loddon home
- 10 New brewery restaurant opens for tapas nights, afternoon tea and more
“When the lads play as well as they did, it makes my job easier,” Martin told the Derby Telegraph.
“I was frustrated after that miss but you’ve got to keep going and hope you get the next one.
“I got a bit of luck with a few touches for the first goal and a hell of a lot of luck for the second, which came back off the post and landed in my lap.
“I’ll take them all day.”