Beccles & Bungay Harriers impress at cross country event
- Credit: Archant
Five Beccles and Bungay Harriers juniors travelled to Northamptonshire to compete in the Anglian Schools Cross-Country Championships.
The event is the equivalent of a regional schools competition and is the culmination of the best runners from earlier Norfolk and Suffolk Schools races.
Although all did well, Grace Forster and Lucy Emmett ran particularly well to achieve high placings. Congratulations go to Grace and Lucy who have now both been selected to represent Norfolk at the English Schools Championships which are in Norwich) on March 18.
In the girls Year 8/9 (3,350m) Grace Forster was ninth and Brooke Oram 40th. In the girls Year 10/11 (3,750m) Lucy Emmett was 11th and Kamie Lowe 49th. In the seniors, Years 12/13 (4,175m) Lauren Oram was 43rd.
Friday was a big day for the younger juniors who competed in the Norfolk School Games (Primary Level) at Gresham’s School, Holt. Two of the younger juniors had fought their way through qualifying rounds to represent South Norfolk. Izzy Last had a super race to finish fourth in her age group which was higher than she finished in the qualifying round. In the Year 3 boys (72 competitors) Quinn Campbell was 49th.
Harriers train regularly at Earsham playing field on Tuesday evenings and Beccles Rugby ground on Thursday evenings, 6.45-8.15pm. New senior and junior members are welcome. The club are also running Sportshall Athletics (7-15s) at Bungay High School on Mondays 6-7pm and at Sir John Leman High School, Beccles on Fridays from 5-6pm. The cost is £1.50 per session and new juniors are welcome.
For further information contact club chairperson Gary Howe on 01986 781227, mobile 07761 474313 or email email@example.com.
- 1 City burger joint takes beef off the menu
- 2 'Incredible turnout' as protesters demand River Waveney clean up
- 3 Traffic to be diverted with road temporarily closed for repair works
- 4 100 East Anglian events you cannot miss this summer
- 5 'I keep selling out' - Mum-of-two dreams of fudge shop as business thrives
- 6 Fishing equipment stolen after thieves smash car window
- 7 Celebration of food and drink gearing up for return this weekend
- 8 Chainsaws, drills and hedge trimmers stolen in farm burglary
- 9 Where jubilee parties are taking place in Waveney
- 10 MP calls for investment for east coast rail lines
Harriers will be offering a ‘Running for Beginners’ course for anyone keen to try running. The course is every Tuesday 7-8pm and starts on March 7 for eight weeks at Earsham. Beginners and improvers are welcome. The first session will be taken by Paul Evans, former finalist at the Atlanta and Barcelona Olympics, and Sam O’Hara and Lynn Emmett, UKA qualified coaches. Cost is £1.50. For details contact Gary Howe.