Beccles & Bungay Harriers impress at cross country event
- Credit: Archant
Five Beccles and Bungay Harriers juniors travelled to Northamptonshire to compete in the Anglian Schools Cross-Country Championships.
The event is the equivalent of a regional schools competition and is the culmination of the best runners from earlier Norfolk and Suffolk Schools races.
Although all did well, Grace Forster and Lucy Emmett ran particularly well to achieve high placings. Congratulations go to Grace and Lucy who have now both been selected to represent Norfolk at the English Schools Championships which are in Norwich) on March 18.
In the girls Year 8/9 (3,350m) Grace Forster was ninth and Brooke Oram 40th. In the girls Year 10/11 (3,750m) Lucy Emmett was 11th and Kamie Lowe 49th. In the seniors, Years 12/13 (4,175m) Lauren Oram was 43rd.
Friday was a big day for the younger juniors who competed in the Norfolk School Games (Primary Level) at Gresham’s School, Holt. Two of the younger juniors had fought their way through qualifying rounds to represent South Norfolk. Izzy Last had a super race to finish fourth in her age group which was higher than she finished in the qualifying round. In the Year 3 boys (72 competitors) Quinn Campbell was 49th.
You may also want to watch:
Harriers train regularly at Earsham playing field on Tuesday evenings and Beccles Rugby ground on Thursday evenings, 6.45-8.15pm. New senior and junior members are welcome. The club are also running Sportshall Athletics (7-15s) at Bungay High School on Mondays 6-7pm and at Sir John Leman High School, Beccles on Fridays from 5-6pm. The cost is £1.50 per session and new juniors are welcome.
For further information contact club chairperson Gary Howe on 01986 781227, mobile 07761 474313 or email email@example.com.
- 1 Tyres slashed on parked cars with damage caused overnight in Beccles
- 2 New Toolstation store opens in Beccles
- 3 Honda motorbike stolen in overnight theft in Bungay
- 4 Man dies in industrial incident at plastics factory
- 5 Quarry restoration to take six more years after delays
- 6 Creator of mystery Covehithe statue reveals where it went
- 7 Life sentence for convicted rapist who attempted to murder Norfolk woman
- 8 Toolstation opens new store in Beccles
- 9 Graduation worth the wait for East Coast College's class of 2020
- 10 Free October half term events around Beccles and Bungay
Harriers will be offering a ‘Running for Beginners’ course for anyone keen to try running. The course is every Tuesday 7-8pm and starts on March 7 for eight weeks at Earsham. Beginners and improvers are welcome. The first session will be taken by Paul Evans, former finalist at the Atlanta and Barcelona Olympics, and Sam O’Hara and Lynn Emmett, UKA qualified coaches. Cost is £1.50. For details contact Gary Howe.