Beccles Caxton’s five-a-side is a huge hit
- Credit: Archant
Caxton Meadow witnessed a great day’s football with a record turnout for this year’s Beccles Caxton five-a-side tournament.
With no one pulling out, the tournament started with 32 teams. The standard was high as teams from as far as Ipswich entered this year, including Lowestoft & District League champions DKC.
After plenty of goals and drama it was Newhouse who were first to make the final as they overcame Carlton A in the semi-finals, with goals from Jackson Williams and Craig Aldred securing a 2-0 win. Labone joined Newhouse shortly after when they defeated Ipswich Exiles 2-0 in the other semi final, Rowan Van Tromp and Jack Shreeve with the goals.
The final was a tight affair with Newhouse having experience on their side, while the youthful Labone worked tirelessly as both sides struggled to get shots on goal. It was no surprise to see the game head into extra-time. After a gruelling extra-time period the game went to penalties.
The star of the show turned out to be Sam Ingram in the Newhouse goal as he saved all four penalties, leaving Barney Lawrence to bury his to win the tournament for Newhouse.
You may also want to watch:
“I would like to say a big thank you to all the 32 teams who came to the 5-a-side,” said Caxton secretary Karl Olley. “It was a very long day. Special thanks go to Hazel, Russell, Mark, Brian, Karl, Deano, Jack, Wayne, Tom, Bob, Tony and Jenny for all their help in the build-up and on the day, our five refs who did a great job, Beccles Sports Centre for letting us borrow two goals, also to youngsters Jack Hammond and Scott Wolfe for running the hole in the goal competition and anyone else I may have missed.
“Let’s hope for a bigger event next year with an extra pitch to accommodate teams.”
- 1 Drive-in fireworks display with food village returning for 2021
- 2 Youngsters prepare to take to the stage for debut performance
- 3 Christmas in doubt as toy shop boss 'struggling with stock'
- 4 New Toolstation store opens in Beccles
- 5 School to play key role in supporting pupils' mental health across country
- 6 Waveney schools to bring in additional measures to fight Covid rise
- 7 Tyres slashed on parked cars with damage caused overnight in Beccles
- 8 Man dies in industrial incident at plastics factory
- 9 Man on walking tour of UK's coastline 'met with so much love' in Suffolk
- 10 See Hunter's Moon and Orionid meteors in Suffolk skies tonight