Beccles CC maintain their impressive start to season
Beccles continued their perfect start to the Norfolk Alliance Division Two season by picking up another 25 point victory at home to Swaffham.
They made 238-6 in their 45 overs and then dismissed their visitors, who had also been going well, for just 140.
Skipper David George was forced to make one change from his winning team with Nick Smith replacing the injured Marcus Hayes.
George lost yet another toss, with the away captain opting to have a bowl.
However Beccles batted beautifully for the third week in succession, with the ever reliable Rob Porter (60) holding the innings together. This allowed stroke-maker Alex Wright (67) to go on the attack and with some middle order scampering from Ben Milburn (20), George (8) and Stu Watkins (28) Beccles set their guests 239 to win.
You may also want to watch:
The home side knew that early wickets would be key with a large total to defend. They didn’t have to wait long as lion-hearted Watkins took two wickets in his first over, both batsman falling victim to the short ball.
Wright then removed the dangerous looking Jasper Payne to leave Swaffham with an uphill battle ahead of them. Alex Payne took the fight to Beccles with some lusty blows but he had little support from the other end.
- 1 Part of A143 closed after three-vehicle crash in early hours
- 2 Let's staycation in...Beccles
- 3 No need to wait for booster invitation - clarification after Covid jab confusion
- 4 Farm shop owners 'absolutely thrilled' at national award
- 5 Crime map shows locations of weapons offences in Suffolk
- 6 Youngsters prepare to take to the stage for debut performance
- 7 Man dies in industrial incident at plastics factory
- 8 Christmas in doubt as toy shop boss 'struggling with stock'
- 9 New project launched to restore south Norfolk countryside
- 10 Tyres slashed on parked cars with damage caused overnight in Beccles
Perennial destroyer of tails Ian Ruddock set about doing just that, finishing with figures of 5-15 from nine overs. It was left to Watkins to take the final wicket to give Beccles a 98 run victory.
Hickman Supplies man of the match was Alex Wright.
Beccles travel to Great Witchingham A tomorrow where will be looking to continue their perfect start.
Beccles A lost to Bircham by 38 runs in Division Four, despite making 278-8 (Tom Young 84). They host Mundford tomorrow,