Beccles close in on cup double

Beccles produced a solid display to overcome Corton, a very decent Division One outfit, to set up a repeat of the last time Beccles reached the final of the Anglian Combination's Mummery Cup, in 1992 against Blofield United.

Beccles produced a solid display to overcome Corton, a very decent Division One outfit, to set up a repeat of the last time Beccles reached the final of the Anglian Combination's Mummery Cup, in 1992 against Blofield United.

The date has been set for May 4, 11am ko at Wroxham's Trafford Park.

This week Beccles are again in cup action as the take on Leiston St Margarets at Walmer Road (Kirkley & Pakefield FC) in the semi-finals of the Suffolk Senior Cup, ko 2pm, with a final at Ipswich Town's Portman Road the prize.

Manager Broxup kept faith with the starting XI that defeated Sheringham. Waterman and Peters were suspended but Beccles were boosted by the return of club captain Sam Barham. Cable kept his place in goal with the back four of Greengrass, Wigg, Barham and Mcmorran.

You may also want to watch:

Day and Wilson partnered each other in midfield with young Holmes and Woods operating on the flanks. Hurren and Remblance continued in a two-man attack. Broxup also brought a strong bench, which consisted of Martin, Payne and Ling.

Beccles attacked from the off with Holmes and Woods finding space and looking to take on the full backs at every opportunity.

Most Read

Corton looked dangerous as the strength and experience of Wilkinson threatened the Beccles rearguard.

Wilkinson was given far too much time inside the box. He controlled the ball and smashed his right-foot shot towards the bottom corner but Cable dived low to his right to turn the ball on to a post and out for a corner.

This seemed to galvanise Beccles and it was not long before the breakthrough came.

Holmes used his electric pace to beat his man before laying the ball into the path of the supporting Mcmorran to cross superbly to Remblance. He powered his header past the stranded Thacker for 1-0.

Soon after Beccles were thankful to Cable a second time for keeping their intact. Ross Brown found space in midfield to pick out Broomfield's run. He took one touch and fired a stinging volley towards the top corner but his shot was brilliantly pushed round a post by the out-stretched Cable.

Young Alex Holmes then grabbed his first senior goal, a superb effort. The rejuvenated Ricci Wilson was given far too much time 20 yards from goal and from his brilliant chipped ball Holmes nipped in and, with a deft flick lobbed the ball past the helpless Thacker.

Corton continued to show fighting spirit but the Beccles rearguard was far superior to their attacking threat.

The second half continued in the same vein. Beccles twice threatened to add to their lead.

From a superb Holmes cross, Hurren tried to control the ball instead of shooting and the chance was snuffed out. Then Hurren found room down the left before sending a deep cross for Holmes to spectacularly flash his volley inches wide.

Wilson and Day were immense throughout. Wilson was controlling the game with his passing and Day showed excellent workrate and tackling.

Corton made a change, French was brought on wide right and looked sharp as his direct play threatened to trouble Greengrass. He manufactured two or three teasing crosses that, agonisingly for the visitors, all went begging.

Beccles created more chances to put this tie to bed, both of which fell to Hurren. He finished well from an astute Woods ball, but as he wheeled away to celebrate the assistant's flag was raised. Then Hurren capitalised on a defensive error by High to race away and draw Thacker - only for the keeper to make a smart save.

Corton were throwing everything forward to get a goal but left themselves vulnerable to counter-attacka. Beccles sprung with numbers but Remblance wasted the opportunity when he had both Holmes and Hurren in support.

For the last 10 minutes it was all Corton, but the whole back four were superb in defending and were well supported by the midfield.

Beccles take the short trip to Kirkley & Pakefield FC this weekend to take on Leiston St Margrets in the semi-finals of the Suffolk Senior Cup. The match kicks off at 2.15pm.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter