Beccles come from two down to take the points

Beccles Town captain Danny Cable received the senior team of the month for December 2016 award from

Beccles Town captain Danny Cable received the senior team of the month for December 2016 award from Anglian Combination chairman Graham Jubb. Picture: David Walters. - Credit: Archant

Having beaten Mundford quite easily in the home match, the Wherrymen were hopeful of three points against Mundford, although a shortage of centre backs forced some rearrangement.

The eventual line-up was: Cable, Booker, Jones, Shade, Currie, Grimmer, Masters, Bailey, Bale, Harvey-Cooper and Clark, with Waterman, Hurren and Gallagher on the bench.

Possibly due to the new defensive line-up, Beccles started tentatively and after two minutes found themselves a goal down from Ben Coe and under severe pressure.

On seven minutes the pressure told when many legs in one tackle gave Mundford a penalty which was converted by Roy Bland to give them a 2-0 lead. Beccles started to firm up and with Grimmer and Masters breaking up most of the Mundford play, the attacks on the home goal clicked into gear. With Mundford giving away many free-kicks Beccles engaged in a aerial bombardment on the Mundford goal.

During one such attack on 32 minutes Harvey-Cooper was fouled in the area and got up to slot home the penalty.

The second half saw Beccles attacking down the slope and once again free-kicks against the home side for niggling fouls kept Beccles in a supply of balls into the area. However, Beccles’ poor finishing prevented further goals until a through ball from Bailey on 54 minutes, was latched on to by Harvey-Cooper and he made no mistake from close in to level the scores.

The attacks from Beccles continued and Mundford responded with niggly tackles, but the free-kicks could not find the man to score. Around 70 minutes Keiron Bale was sent away down the left and a low cross was hammered into the net by Luke Bailey to give Beccles the lead.

Most Read

Before the match, the Beccles captain was presented with the senior team of the month award for December, along with a new match ball by Graham Jubb, chairman of the Anglian Combination.

On College Meadow the weakened Reserves managed a 2-0 win over Freethorpe with goals from Jason Clarke and Harley Pluck.

Tomorrow the Wherrymen visit Wymondham at 2.30pm. The Reserves have a home game against leaders Mulbarton at 2.30pm.