Beccles cruise to victory away from home to stay in hunt for promotion
- Credit: Archant
Beccles Town travelled to Wymondham with some concern that the happenings of the earlier home game against their opponents would create an atmosphere that would spoil a game they eventually won 0-2.
Wymondham opened the game with a flurry of attacks, forcing Beccles to defend in depth with Shade and Jones dominant.
On 24 minutes Callum Grimmer was injured breaking up a midfield move, forcing Beccles into an early substitution, Kevin Waterman being drafted into midfield.
Beccles’ attack then started to swing into action and following a series of crosses from both Bale and Bailey, Ray Masters managed to get into a good position in the box and slotted home through a crowd of players.
Beccles continued to attack with Harvey-Cooper and Clark getting into some great positions without adding to the scoreline.
You may also want to watch:
The half time talks inspired Wymondham who raised their game and launched some strong attacking play, being totally dominant for the early minutes. But on 52 minutes Beccles broke away and were awarded a free kick just outside the box and Harvey-Cooper’s drive was turned around the post by the home keeper for a corner before Masters was played in on to a killer through ball from Harvey-Cooper but could only blaze his effort wide.
On 62 minutes, Harvey-Cooper was sent away down the right via a good ball from Bailey. He cut in and flashed a cross to the far post for Joe Clark to hammer in from close range.
- 1 BMW overturns in ditch after coming off A146
- 2 Global innovation award for farm that harnesses energy from cow muck
- 3 Plans for investment and upgraded facilities at Beccles Quay
- 4 'I'm just gobsmacked': east Suffolk pub receives £96,000 grant in Budget
- 5 Fire crews called to rural spot after horse found in ditch
- 6 Bungay Wave set to ripple through town in support of flooding victims
- 7 Backlash against raw sewage vote as local hotspots revealed
- 8 Laptop stolen from parked car in Beccles
- 9 Who can get a Covid booster jab and how can I book one?
- 10 Man arrested on suspicion of drink and drug driving after fatal crash
After the goal celebrations, Kyle Godbold came on for his first team debut, replacing Keiron Bale.
Beccles: Cable, Glover, Jones, Shade, Currie, Masters, Grimmer (Waterman), Bailey, Bale (Godbold), Harvey-Cooper, Clark. Sub: Boyd.
The Reserves had a tough game entertaining division leaders Mulbarton Reserves who went home with all three points from a 4-2 win, the Beccles goals coming from Jason Clarke and Harley Pluck.
Tomorrow Beccles entertain North Walsham who drew 1-1 in the away tie, with the kick off at 2.30pm.
The reserves travel to Waveney Reserves at 2.30pm.
This will be the third match in eight days.